excessive oil on air filter?

Old 08-24-02, 03:41 PM
dougt
Visiting Guest
Question excessive oil on air filter?

91 Jeep cherokee 4.0L, just changed air filter after about 15,000miles and it is just about soaked with oil. There is no PVC valve per se, only a Chrysler plastic fitting to restrict air flow. I assume that this occurs because there is too much pressure in the valve cover? I've checked for a plugged hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner housing and nothing, is this an easy one? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-02, 10:10 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Jeeps of this vintage had a recall/problem with the CCVT (takes the place of the PCV) system. I know that those hard plastic lines break and turn to dust.....replaced a few of them.

See alldata.com for known bulletins on this problem. Barring that, the truck has blowby and the engine's on borrowed time as it will continue to use more oil.

Old 08-25-02, 07:21 PM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
I've seen where an air filter looks good but is so clogged with dust that it will create a vaccum inside the housing and pulls oil and air out of the crankcase because thats the only place it can come from. with the replacement of the air filter you probably fixed the problem.