Spark plug opinions

Old 08-25-02, 05:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Spark plug opinions

I'm getting ready to do a tune up on my 93 Ford E350, 5.8L and was wondering what everyone thought about the different styles of spark plugs available. I would like to improve my gas mileage as much as possible and was looking into the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs. Am I falling for commercial hype here or is the extra money worth it? Along the same lines, what difference would a better grade of plug wire make to performance and mileage? Thanks for your help.

[SIZE=3]Pat Russell[/SIZE]

Old 08-25-02, 07:25 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Stick with OEM Motorcraft plugs and Motorcraft or Standard Motor Products spark plug wires.

Certain brands of aftermarket spark plug wires *may* offer a very small improvement in fuel economy, but they're not worth the added cost.

High performance wires are a must when used in conjuction with a high peformance ignition system (MSD 6A or Jacobs Ignition) but otherwise are a waste of money in a stock application.

Bosch Platinum +4s are great if your name is Robert Bosch. Otherwise they're a waste of money.

Old 08-26-02, 03:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks, I really appreciate that advice. In the past I have gone as cheap as possible on these things and was looking to do better this time. I also know that cost and hype don't always equal the best option either. I'll stick with the OEM stuff.

[SIZE=3]Pat Russell[/SIZE]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: