Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1997 Suburu valve adjustment. how to?

FL

08-25-02, 06:42 AM   #1  
1997 Suburu valve adjustment. how to?

My 1997 Suburu 2.2 liter engine has solid lifters and I think they are noisy. The dealer says this is normal. I want to adjust them. I have the tools and ability, but know nothing about Suburus.
Will this job be too much? Any advice out there?

Thanks, dongee

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-25-02, 07:17 AM   #2  
TECHMAN
You can start by buying shop man. at parts store. I beleve on this madl. the valves are adj. only at machine shop level because the adj. are under cam assy. and will involve the removeale of cyl. head and cam assy. ect. may be best to read up on it in shop man. first.--Good Luck ---Dave-------

Visiting Guest

08-26-02, 06:04 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Unless the OEM manual recommends it, leave it alone. More trouble than it's worth. I wouldn't bother unless it's recommended or there are known problems requiring it to be adjusted. Subarus were never quiet nor the bastion of quality .

I still do not understand why they haven't gone to hydraulic type lifters .

FL

09-01-02, 05:55 AM   #4  
1997 Suburu valve adjst.

Originally posted by Joe_F
Unless the OEM manual recommends it, leave it alone. More trouble than it's worth. I wouldn't bother unless it's recommended or there are known problems requiring it to be adjusted. Subarus were never quiet nor the bastion of quality .

I still do not understand why they haven't gone to hydraulic type li
fters .
Thanks for your input, Joe. I bought a manual and other than getting a lot of stuff out of the way, it seems pretty straight-forward. Waiting for the weather to cool and then I'll "give it a go". I just am not happy with the noise. I'll let you know when i'ts finished.

Thanks, Dongee

Search this Thread