Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Spark plug opinions

OH

08-25-02, 05:14 PM   #1  
Spark plug opinions

I'm getting ready to do a tune up on my 93 Ford E350, 5.8L and was wondering what everyone thought about the different styles of spark plugs available. I would like to improve my gas mileage as much as possible and was looking into the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs. Am I falling for commercial hype here or is the extra money worth it? Along the same lines, what difference would a better grade of plug wire make to performance and mileage? Thanks for your help.

[SIZE=3]Pat Russell[/SIZE]

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-25-02, 07:25 PM   #2  
knuckles
Stick with OEM Motorcraft plugs and Motorcraft or Standard Motor Products spark plug wires.

Certain brands of aftermarket spark plug wires *may* offer a very small improvement in fuel economy, but they're not worth the added cost.

High performance wires are a must when used in conjuction with a high peformance ignition system (MSD 6A or Jacobs Ignition) but otherwise are a waste of money in a stock application.

Bosch Platinum +4s are great if your name is Robert Bosch. Otherwise they're a waste of money.

OH

08-26-02, 03:24 AM   #3  
Thanks, I really appreciate that advice. In the past I have gone as cheap as possible on these things and was looking to do better this time. I also know that cost and hype don't always equal the best option either. I'll stick with the OEM stuff.

[SIZE=3]Pat Russell[/SIZE]

Search this Thread