battery explode

Old 08-26-02, 07:27 AM
joelq
Visiting Guest
Unhappy battery explode

can you explain why battery explode. what makes the charging system failed and what remedy ican make . thank you very much in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-02, 08:25 AM
Group Moderator
A battery gives off hydrogen gas, especially when charging (remember the Hindenburg?). If the battery was fairly new and not suspect, alternator failure would be first thing to check.

Old 08-26-02, 08:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A battery can explode due to charging (what Tow Guy mentions), or it could be shorted.

Old 08-26-02, 02:47 PM
Battery

Be careful if it blew because of an external short it may blow when you connect a new battery.I would remove the positive cable and inspect all the insulation for damage.If it was the alternator I would suspect alot of burned out bulbs before a battery would blow but anythings possible.Ive seen cars charging at 23 volts that blew out headlights and other bulbs but never blew the battery.You also may have melted fusible links after such an episode.

Old 08-27-02, 05:52 AM
joelq
Visiting Guest
Wink thanks

davo thank you for the info it was very helpful. you have a good day.

Old 08-27-02, 06:02 AM
joelq
Visiting Guest
Smile battery

as Davo replied and the hint for battery back installation that might explode again. Luckily, it was fine & I start the engine smoothly,although I'm still concerned It might happen again. I dicided to see a service & check the charging system. Once again thank you guys.

Old 08-27-02, 02:55 PM
clean up is a must

If your battery did explode you must clean up ASAP with water and baking soda Wet bown the whole battery tray and all adjacent areas sprinkle on the soda and watch it fizz that is good.
after all fizz stops rinse well with fresh water.