Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Back tires locked up

Visiting Guest

08-26-02, 03:38 PM   #1  
dmlopa
Back tires locked up

I have a 1989 Honda Accord LXi 4-door. I was coming back from the mailbox and it felt very sluggish-it just did not want to go that good. It has been parked for about a week and I tried moving it after having a hard time releasing the parking break. The front tires spin and the back tires are not moving and are locked up. It happens when I put it in any gear (automatic transmission). I tried pulling it forward and the back tires are just dragging. Please help!!!!!! Is there any way to disable the parking break if that is the problem?

Sponsored Links

08-26-02, 04:08 PM   #2  
Same thing happened to me, but not on a Honda. Usually there's 2 cables. one to the rear brakes, second from the handbrake lever. The cables meet at a Y shaped gizmo. You will find that the front cable - to the lever- has snapped. When you put a little more upward pressure on the lever to release it, the cable snapped, leaving the brakes full on. You need to get under , pull apart the gizmo and the brakes will release. Just remember to tie the gizmo and rear cable up out of the way, and get the front cable replaced ASAP.

Search this Thread