Pontiac 6000 getting too hot.

Old 08-26-02, 07:31 PM
McDiver
Visiting Guest
Pontiac 6000 getting too hot.

I have a 88 Pontiac 6000 that has just started to boil over when in 90+ temp. in stop and go traffic. The A/C seems to put out warm air when stopped for more that a couple of min. I will then turn off the A/C. Not long after this the water starts to boil over from the radiator. The cooling fan seems to work sometimes and only if the A/C is on. I changed out the radiator about two years ago and I just changed the thermostat. Since I have never replaced the cooling fan could it stop working when the temp. gets to hot? Please help!!!!!

McDiver

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-02, 07:59 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Could be the fan motor, wiring or sensor.

Easy to test.

Locate the diagnostic connector under the dash. Jumper terminals A&B with a paperclip or small wire. Turn the ignition key on. The cooling fan should run. If it does, the sensor is bad. If it doesn't, check for power & ground at the fan motor. Good power & ground = bad fan motor. No power=bad relay or open fuse link. No ground = dirty or broken ground connection or wire.

Old 08-29-02, 06:58 PM
McDiver
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. I completed the test and found that the fan would come on. Now I just have to find the sensor. If it is located on the A/C coolant line, I have found two of them inline with each other. Are these the sensors that you talk about . If so should I jump them out? If not could you give me an idea where to look for the sensor?

Thanks,

McDiver

Old 08-29-02, 07:11 PM
TECHMAN
Visiting Guest
Sounds like you and knuckes are on the wright track . DO you have one are two fans on rady.? If one the sensor is on the rear of the intake around the thermosat area. If you have a sec. fan it will be for the a/c and that sensor is in the a/c line up by rady.--------Good LUck---------Dave---------

Old 08-30-02, 06:04 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The cooling fan sensor is usually located on the block or by the t/stat housing. Some vehicles have them in the radiator.

Quick call to any GM dealer's parts counter should net you the answer in a jiffy.

Old 08-30-02, 10:55 AM
If you do a lot of driving in high heat and traffic the cooling fan comes on way to late and if your cooling system is weak the fan may not prevent boiling over. What I did with my Buick, as opposed to buying sensors and relays, was to wire the fan directly into a switch located into the passenger compartment. When stuck in traffic or on very hot days I just run the fan and the car stays cool. The downside is if you forget to turn it on you can fry the cooling system. Also if many people drive the car and don't know the system same thing could happen.

Old 08-30-02, 03:05 PM
svt
Visiting Guest
try replacing your water filler cap

Old 09-01-02, 03:28 PM
McDiver
Visiting Guest
I believe I have found the problem

As you have stated here in the Basics, Two heads are better than one. When I asked a friend to help me find the sensor, he asked how I knew the fan was good and I told him of the test that was suggested to me earlier. He asked if he could see the test done again and when we did the test the fan would not come on till he turned the fan by hand. I have now replaced the cooling fan motor and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks for all your help.

McDiver