Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sound coming from rear end of the car(Nissan)

Visiting Guest

08-27-02, 09:48 AM   #1  
vsangu
Sound coming from rear end of the car(Nissan)

I have Nissan Maxima GXE 1994.There is this hissing/grinding sound comes from the rear of the car,during the runing of the car.It seems as if somethings is wearing out or as if two metallic parts are rubbing against each other.Could someone please explain the cause of this type of sound and the measures that could be taken immediately to stop it?I would appreciate the quick response.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

08-27-02, 11:13 AM   #2  
I'm assuming you mean when the car is in motion. If so, possible worn out rear brake shoes. Get them checked asap. The metal parts rubbing could be brake shoes and drums and you will quickly do damage to the drums that will require replacing the drums.

Visiting Guest

08-27-02, 11:30 AM   #3  
vsangu
Thanks a lot for the quick reply.
Do I need to change the brake shoes only or will it require the whole braking system to be changed?Please advise..In that case,how much would it cost me to change the shoes?

08-27-02, 11:53 AM   #4  
if you have gotten to the point where you are metal on metal, then chances are you have done more damage than just the pads. You will likely need the drums turned or replaced depending on how bad it is. If you don't know how to do this yourself, I suggest you take it to a mechanic you can trust. Brake repairs like this can become quite costly.

Group Moderator

FL

08-29-02, 04:39 AM   #5  
Besides the shoes and drums really the only thing left is the wheel (hydraulic) cylinders. If you're going to keep the car a while, wouldn't hurt to have them replaced as well. Should be less than $30 each.

Search this Thread