1996 voyager (again!)

Old 08-27-02, 04:59 PM
dlalexander
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 1996 voyager (again!)

We're back to the voyager SE w/ a 3.0 V6 that runs (NOT!) I tried replacing the ECM (see earlier post) but that didn't solve the problem. However, in tinkering with it, I have narrowed the problen down to the cruise control. Does anyone know how to disable the cruise?? (Not by the switch!) I can't seem to find a fuse for it, and there are no relays labeled (under the dash, at least.) If I unplug the vacuum line from the box (the bottom of the battery tray, go figure!) the car runs better, but not perfect.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-02, 05:18 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I believe you stated you work for a dealer. They should have the needed OEM manuals you can thumb through. That's the route I would go.

Why did you replace the ECM without first testing to see if it was bad?

Old 08-27-02, 05:30 PM
dlalexander
Visiting Guest
The reason I didn't test it before hand? The chrysler dealer will let me return it! As for the manuals, I'm looking into it. I have found a schematic for the engine wiring, and it looks like there is NO fuse or relay!!! There is one wire coming off of the PCM to the switch, and all the other components run out of it w/ out fuses!! I tried disconnecting the speed control servo, but one leg of the brake circuit goes through it. ( for the cruise control )

Old 08-27-02, 05:40 PM
I dont think the problem you are having is related to the cruise control i would look elsewhere, have any codes returned since replacing the computer?
if your cruise control isnt working are showing on and off intermintantly and the switch is mounted on the steering wheel it is often due to a bad clock spring in the steering column, and alot of times the horn will not work and the airbag light can also be on due to the clock spring but all circuits do not usually go at once.
either way it should not have any effect on how the engine runs.

Old 08-27-02, 06:04 PM
dlalexander
Visiting Guest
Horn works and No ABS light. I did get the temp. gauge back and the speedo isn't acting like a tach. However, I did discover that if the cruise control light is off, the engine runs fine. As soon as the light comes on, the engine bucks and dies. I tried disconnecting the plug for the cruise/horn, (the airbag is on a seperate connector) but the problem didn't go away. If I disconnect the vacuum lines from the cruise control "module" (no electrical connector, just two vacuum lines.) the car seems to run & idle O.K.
I'm afraid to try and run it around the block, because I live at the top of a hill and I really don't feel like trying to push/pull the beast back up to the top!!! I am, however still getting fault codes, 'engine temp sensor input high' and 'intermittent/missing input from TPS. If I clear the codes, and start the car with the cruise control vacuum unplugged, no fault codes appear. It dosn't run right, (one of the lines runs off the intake plenum.)

Old 08-27-02, 07:03 PM
about the only thing that you could be doing by disconnecting vacum lines would be creating a vacum leak, so you went from cmp, ckp codes to a tps code?
if you work at a dealership i would just have one of the better driveability technicians look at it cause it may be wiring or ground related and would be cheaper in the long run. you really need a scanner hooked to the vehicle to see if these sensors are reading correctly or not, they will be able to get the data from the computer and are capable of doing alot more than reading codes.
the only thing i would suggest you might look for is at the wiring harness for any damaged wires usually caused by the harness rubbing along a part and can often rub through wiring and short out and cause lots of problems and to look for any engine grounds that may be loose, have you had any repair work done to this van recently and if so what was it?

Old 08-27-02, 07:35 PM
dlalexander
Visiting Guest
I did find a worn spot in the main engine wiring harness, but the wires all check out O.K. (the harness is housed in a plastic sheath, which is probably all that saved the wires.) It does look like a poor design on chrysler's part, one that I will rectify when I get the thing running .