broken valve part 2

Old 08-27-02, 11:13 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
broken valve part 2

what are these germans thinking. Anyone know how to get the front lower bolt looseneed on the ac compressor for removal so I can take off the head? It seems to be 15mm but i cant get an extension on it due to the pulley for the compressor. Does the pulley need taken off? Mr. Haynes was a little to brief in this section with almost no mention. If i do need to take the pulley off how do i keep it from spinning ? Lacking that.. just slide me alink to a mercedes repair forum. I seem to have lost all old favorites. THanks-=Josh

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-02, 05:48 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The Germans believe "Send it back to the dealer or get the manual". I suggest you look for an OEM manual, and being it's a German car, it's pricey. Such are the pains of owning foreign. No thanks

Wedge a block of wood in there to stop the pulley from turning. If you have access to an air gun, a quick zip should break it loose.

As for removing the pulley, a puller might be required.

If you're going to do any serious work on a vehicle, save a Haynes manual for a table prop and get the OEM manual, even a Motor or other good aftermarket/professional manual is far superior to a Haynes.

Old 08-28-02, 09:27 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
thanks joe i do have an impact wrench and i just bought a 5 ton crafstman 2/3 jaw puller. Get my moneys worth. Sadly I will be selling the car after the valve(s) is replaced. Sort of a last "Hurrah" in repairs so I dont really want to shell out the $$ for a MB manual at this point. Looks like Im an englophile after all.

If anyones interested in a 2 door 1980 280ce gasoline I6 Mercedes with sunroof 4 wheel discs with new rear calipers, new windshield and rubber new bosch wipers, new throttle linkage, etc lots of work done. Used to be my daily driver for 4 years. E-mail me if you are interested in the Pittsburgh Area. -Josh

Old 09-02-02, 09:58 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
woohoo. 14 mm stubby and loads of patience saves the day. Didnt have to take the magnetic fan or the rad and shroud off and still got that bloody compressor unbolted. Note to self.. use 5 bolts to reinstall the compressor. toss 6th in bottomless pit. -Josh