Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

towing question

08-28-02, 07:53 AM   #1  
towing question

I have an 85 Dodge camper van, 318, auto, 293 rear and before I go any further I want to keep this van. I would like to have a 360 motor built with gobs of torque while keeping it relatively bulletproof. I realize I will probably need to change the rear end gears also. The question is will I be able to pull a 4000 pound trailer with this settup? I cross the Serria mountains in Mexico every year on winding two lane roads. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-28-02, 08:59 AM   #2  
otter_
no probs towing 4k with 360

you'll want:

1. Aux transmission cooler

2. More agressive rear axle ratio (in the neighbourhood of a 3.73 - not sure what you can get for a Dodgoe rear end), so you can use all that torque.

have fun!

TX

08-28-02, 02:01 PM   #3  
yep go with 3:73

Go with 3:73 gears they are good for pulling I had a 89 chevy 3/4 ton with turbo 400 trans and 3:73 gears engine oil cooler,transmission cooler.It was from the factory as a trailor pack so they must know what they are doing.I pulled lots of stuff with my truck.
I pulled a 74 chevelle malibu classic from California to Texas no problem(gas mileage did stink) but I say go for the 3:73s

08-28-02, 05:18 PM   #4  
look at the gvwr for your vehicle it is usually on the side of the door if you go over that amount you are running the risk of losing control of the vehicle, also would recomend trailer brakes the electric ones not hydraulic they are very handy so you can reach down and apply the trailer brakes only if needed and is alot better than nothing if you happened to have brake failure on the vehicle going down a steep hill. the hydraulic ones actually require the vehicle to slow forcing the trailer tong mounted master cylinder to apply the trailer brakes.

Search this Thread