Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

oil

08-28-02, 09:31 AM   #1  
oil

I know this is a auto forum and not a motorcycle forum. But there is no good bike forums I know of. My question is some of my friends told me that using car oil in a motorcycle is ruining the engine, so I wanted to know is the 10w 40 oil in the bike shop that cost 7.95 a quart the same as the 10w 40 oil in the auto store. I posted here because I have gotten great help on my car here.

Sponsored Links

08-28-02, 04:50 PM   #2  
i would think so check your owners manual for the specified grade and weight you should be running in your bike.

Visiting Guest

08-28-02, 05:23 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Look for whatever API grade is recommended in the owner's manual and choose that.

E-mail the oil companies and ask them. They will gladly answer your question. Should be the same thing unless we are talking 2 cycle oil

Visiting Guest

08-28-02, 07:12 PM   #4  
otter_
I may be all wet but...

when I used to ride, I bought "motorcycle" oil for my bike. A bike mechanic advised to do so. His reasoning: common sump for engine AND transmission. Supposodly, bike oil has more "anti-shear" additives to help the oil put up with lubricating both the engine and transmission.

Visiting Guest

08-29-02, 03:20 AM   #5  
Joe_F
It depends on what is recommended

Search this Thread