Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Trying to fix the results of a bad day. (long)

08-28-02, 02:24 PM   #1  
Trying to fix the results of a bad day. (long)

Last year I rebuilt the top end on my 89 chevy cavalier 2.0 TBI. The head gasket had sprung a leak and I figured I'd freshen things up a bit. Did a good job too.

This lead me to decide I'd try to figure out what was wrong withmy Fan wich had never come on since I had owned the car,

The fan still worked if I gave it power, and it still came on if I put the electrical system in a closed loop (by using one of those engine diagnosis things that make the Service engine light come on).

Anyways I finally figured out the coolant sensor was bad so I proceeded to replace it, when I backed the old one out I cracked the thermostat housing.

Ok no biggy went to the scrap yard 2$ later had a new one, I put it on and lo and behold without even torquing one bit one of the studs to bolt the housing breaks in the head.

I tried for about 3 hours to back out the stud before I finally decided to drill it out and tap the hole or a new stud, so I did just that. I started taping the hole using lots of cutting fluid and a brand new tap when I got to where i wanted to be I started to back the tap out. And without even torquing on it the tap broke in the hole! I couldn't drill it out since its hardened steel and I could not get it out. So I replaced the termostat/water housing with one stud less and used gasket maker like crazy to seal it all. It worked fine until now its starting to dribble a very little bit. i decided I'm going to go at it fixing it again, anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-28-02, 02:49 PM   #2  
Bill Locke
Getting out broken tap.

If you have or know someone who has a mig welder, you, or they can build up the broken tap with welding rod to a point where you can attach a pair of vice grips to the extension you have built and walk the tap out carefully. I was fortuneate in that the tap was broken off in an aluminum block and the steel rod wouldnt bond to the sides of the hole. you could try putting a bushing of some type in the hole to prevent the above if you think you will have a problem with the welding wire bonding to the side of the hole. (I was pretty amazed at how little torque it took to get the broken tap out once I had the extension welded to it) If you weld the hole shut, you might want to do some trading...
Good luck

08-28-02, 02:52 PM   #3  
Re: Getting out broken tap.

Originally posted by Bill Locke
I was fortuneate in that the tap was broken off in an aluminum block and the steel rod wouldnt bond to the sides of the hole.
Good idea I had not thought of that and luckily it's an aluminum head Maybe I'll just remove the housing clean the gasket off and regasket it and slap it back on though Or weld the housing on (aluminum to aluminum )

08-28-02, 05:06 PM   #4  
have you tried a cobalt drill bit?

08-29-02, 06:54 AM   #5  
Yep I tried all types of drill bits and they barely scratch the tap, I also tried a number of reverse bits and screw extractors but nothing worked

MD

08-29-02, 07:10 AM   #6  
There used to be such a thing as a tap remover. It had fingers on it and would go down into the chip spaces of the tap. Might want to see if you can find one of them. Might check with a local machine shop.

08-29-02, 07:16 AM   #7  
Originally posted by garywms
There used to be such a thing as a tap remover. It had fingers on it and would go down into the chip spaces of the tap. Might want to see if you can find one of them. Might check with a local machine shop.
wow I didn't know sucjh a tool existed that would probably be my best bet!

Visiting Guest

08-29-02, 01:43 PM   #8  
Bill Locke
Bad Day

If you could find a tap remover, I would sure like to see what it looks like. (I have seen other tools posted here as suggestions to help that I didn't know existed.) My thought is though that you mentioned that it was in an aluminum head, and that was exactly the scenario I had when I tried the mig weld extension trick I mentioned earlier. You said you might weld the aluminum parts together, which indicates to me you have the necessary skills to weld the extension to the tap. It didn't take me ten minutes to extract the tap from the aluminum head I was having difficulty with...My bet is that you could have it out faster than calling machine shops and then borrowing or spending the money for a job that you may never need the tool for again.
Good luck, and post the picture of the tap remover if you find it!

LA

08-29-02, 10:29 PM   #9  
Tap extractors are sold by McMaster Carr Supply Co. You can reach thenm at (404) 346-7000
I'm not sure of a website address but I'd bet that they have one. Complete extractor's range from around $6.50 for a 1/4" to $18.00 for a 1".
I've used the tap extractors in the past and they work very well.
Good Luck with it!

Visiting Guest

08-30-02, 03:01 PM   #10  
Bill Locke
Bad Day

Thank you, Dan
They do indeed have a website, and from their home page, I clicked on "tapping tools" On the 4th page there were broken tap extractors, prices and drawings. I still like my idea of throwing some AC volts and molten steel at the offender, but it is nice to know the "right" way!

Search this Thread