Oil Pressure Switch

Old 08-31-02, 11:33 AM
bsbishop13
Visiting Guest
Cool Oil Pressure Switch

On my 95 Grand Voyager 3.3L V.6, where is the oil pressure switch?

Last night my husband drives it to work and the "check gauge" light comes on, then the pressure drops to "0". He drove it home and the same thing happened. When first started, the oil pressure gauge registers fine, then the "check gauge" light comes on and the pressure drops almost immediately. You can cut it off and restart it and it resets everything to normal but within a few minutes, the light comes back on.

Is this the pressure switch malfunctioning or the oil pump going out?

Old 08-31-02, 07:44 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Copy & paste the URL below to your browser window to view the oil pressure sender location.

http://www.batauto.com/techs/chrysle...suresender.gif

Only way to tell is to remove the oil pressure sender & install a mechanical test gauge. Monitor oil pressure with the gauge. If it's within specs, replace the sender.

Old 08-31-02, 09:53 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree with Knuckles,but I wonder why you would drive a vehicle if the oil pressue is questionable,you may ruin the engine if there is an oil pressure problem.

Old 08-31-02, 10:35 PM
I had the pressure gauge go to zero on my truck not too long ago. It happened far from my house so I needed to determine if I actually should call a wrecker and have her towed to a shop.

I got my flashlight out, popped the oil cap off and had my son crank the truck (ready to shut it off immediately). We were watching to see if the oil was splashing at all. It was, and I then went to autozone and got another.

The reason I took this route was because I have two oil pressure deals (forget what they're called, probably should be in bed), one for the gauge and one for the dummy light. The warning light never came on but gauge dropped to zero.

Kay

Old 09-01-02, 12:35 AM
bsbishop13
Visiting Guest
Talking

My husband isn't too mechanically inclined and besides, he only has to drive a few miles to work. He was on the phone with me telling me what it was doing, and would stop and shut it off everytime the gauges took a nose dive. I replaced the pressure switch today and it cured all! Thanks for the help!

(Can you believe he's a truck driver?)

Old 09-01-02, 08:45 AM
My younger brother isn't auto-mechanically inclined either. We were excited when he changed out the headlamp bulb on his jeep.

Have to tell you though, he's one helluva firefighter/paramedic!

Am glad you replaced the switch and it solved the problem.

TO DAVO: That is a question that I've been asking my Vegas son and his friends since they left MS in June. The car I gave them needs a new oil pump. They towed it there, but they are driving it anyway. Funnier yet, they complain about how badly it runs. I sent the throttle body gasket with them for that, too. Silly kids!

Kay

Old 09-01-02, 12:46 PM
afterthought:

Even if it is just a few miles, an engine can reach NOT (normal operating temperature) extremely fast without lubricant, and seize it in a matter of minutes, not miles.

Kay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: