Obd II

Old 09-01-02, 07:10 AM
Sybaris
Visiting Guest
Obd II

Sorry if this topic has been run before but the search engine doesn't recognize OBD II.

Been thinking about purchasing one of the various OBD II diagnostic tools but would like some input from DIY'ers who already have it.

What I have found is a plethora of units/software and a potential to spend under or well over $100 depending on options/accessories. A person could go with something simple that just pulls the codes and a reference for looking them up but then I keep seeing the word "generic" for those type units. I don't want something that gets me in the ballpark. I've also read where the OBD II units test emissions. Forgive my ignorance but is that all inclusive or another "ballpark" type series of tests/results? What about software you can load on your laptop, is that better than a pre-programmed hand held unit? What are most DIY'ers using these days?

thanks

Old 09-01-02, 04:43 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Depends on what you need to/want to do.

If you want to read the codes and clear them, a code reader does fine.

If you want to UNDERSTAND what causes the code and how the data comes to cause the code, that is what a scan tool is for.

Most folks would probably purchase the former from Sears, Actron or a parts store.

Old 09-01-02, 04:55 PM
Sybaris
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Joe_F
Depends on what you need to/want to do.

If you want to read the codes and clear them, a code reader does fine.

If you want to UNDERSTAND what causes the code and how the data comes to cause the code, that is what a scan tool is for.

Most folks would probably purchase the former from Sears, Actron or a parts store.

Thanks for the response.

I'd want to get the codes, have some sort of reference that tells me what's 'causing the code and effect repairs myself.

Old 09-02-02, 01:06 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You'd be leaning to a very good code reader or a scanner for that.

The scanner lets you see actual data from the sensors. Not all code readers do that. Oftentimes seeing the data is what is needed to solve the problem(s).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: