Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

wheel stud

Visiting Guest

08-31-02, 03:04 PM   #1  
cman
wheel stud

I have a bad tire on the front of my ,93 crown victoria, I went to get it changed at the tire shop. The man said there was one lug nut that was real tight and he was afraid he was going to break the stud trying to get it off. But the only way to get the tire off was to get the nut off so I told him to go ahead and try to get it off. Well bad luck, the stud just spun in the hub and stripped out. He said he couldn,t fix so had to put the other four lug nuts back on. So now I have only four lug nuts holding on a bad tire. Went to another mechanic he says he will try to take the whole wheel and hub loose and pull it out far enough to allow him to weld the back of the stud and try to get the nut off. I am not sure I think thats a real good plan, does anyone have any ideas or know anything about this type of problem.

Thanks cman

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-31-02, 07:55 PM   #2  
knuckles
You've got 3 options:

1. Replace the hub assembly. Not cheap, but not as expensive as you might think.

2. Remove the wheel & brake rotor. Peen the area immediately around the stud hole with a hammer & punch. This will slightly distort the hole & give the splines on the new stud something to hold on to.

3. Weld the stud to the hub. Not really recommended as welding can change the fatigue properties of both the stud & the hub. The wheel bearing & seal also won't like the heat.

If it were my car, I'd go with option #2.

08-31-02, 09:47 PM   #3  
I would suggest breaking the stud off and replacing the rotor.If that mechanic can weld steel to cast iron I would like to meet him.I wont go into the relm of discussion about the reason why ,but you can not weld steel to cast iron which is what your rotor is made of,and your stud is steel.If you dont have fancy wheels on your car have someone burn the lug nut off with a cutting torch.steel wheels are cheap as dirt.If you have fancy wheels find someone whom has carbide cutters to remove the stud by grinding out the center.

Visiting Guest

08-31-02, 09:53 PM   #4  
knuckles
Sorry davo, but the hub on this car is steel. It is separate from the rotor, much like a FWD car. The rotor simply slides over the wheel studs...they are not attached to the rotor.

08-31-02, 09:59 PM   #5  
Thanks for correcting me.Knuckles I wont attempt to help anyone else,because I may be in error.

08-31-02, 10:03 PM   #6  
BTW,Knuckles option #2 of yours says remove the wheel and weld the stud to the hub.The wheel is the initial problem can not be removed.

Visiting Guest

08-31-02, 10:20 PM   #7  
knuckles
Actually, option #2 suggests peening the hub, but that's beside the point.

wheel can't be removed...use a nut splitter or an air chisel to split the lug nut.

Visiting Guest

08-31-02, 10:57 PM   #8  
Joe_F
I could be missing the boat on this one,but here's my .02

Blow the old lug nut off with an air gun. It's trash. Done with that.

Cut the remainder of the stud off. Then, using a lump hammer, smack it through. It will pop out.

Go to the parts store and get slotted replacement studs by Dorman. They will clear the hub. Get extra nuts. Using the nuts draw in the new stud.

Done .

Visiting Guest

09-01-02, 07:17 PM   #9  
cman
I managed to drill out the center of the stud and break it off. It drilled alot easier than I expected. Did as you said Joe got a new stud, $2.00, and a new chrome lugnut, $4.00, done deal. Thank all you guys for all the help you give everyone, your input is great and you save everyone alot of time and money. Its always helpful to get information and new ideas from other people.

Thanks again for all the help!
this time and in the past
cman

Visiting Guest

09-02-02, 01:04 PM   #10  
Joe_F
You're welcome...good job.

Knuckles and Davo: Either I'm missing something here or you guys are (seems that it was fixed with a simple R&R of the stud). I've never had to do what either of ya said for a broken stud .

Comments?

Search this Thread