help quick!

Old 09-02-02, 10:25 AM
solsister
Visiting Guest
Question help quick!

I have a 98 pontiac transport that decided to try to die on me after i came out of the store this morrning. No problems to date and just got my 3,000 mile oil change. it currently has just over 54,000 miles. When I went to go start it it turned over very hard and then started sputtering like it was going to die on me. I sat for a minute with it idleing. then i needed just to get home! while i was drivng it was still sputtering ,pretty hard and the check engine light came on flashing. i drove down the road a little ways and the car seemed better the check light still on. now it was just on. i got home checked all connections and fluids, which are all fine but the light is still on. i am on a single parent budget so repairs have to be done by me can you help?
thanks!
michelle

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-02, 10:53 AM
Go to Autozone or Advance auto parts and have your codes read.Then post back.If the light is or was flashing it means you have a catalytic converter damaging emission failure.Possibly a misfire due to your desription.

Old 09-02-02, 10:58 AM
otter_
Visiting Guest
common problem with trans sport...

could be your ignition coil pack is bad or one or more ignition wires are bad.

barring that,
flashing service engine soon usually means misfire, most often caused by bad tank of fuel or fouled injectors.

Old 09-02-02, 10:58 AM
otter_
Visiting Guest
common problem with trans sport...

oops! double post - sorry

Old 09-02-02, 12:47 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with these guys.

Old 09-03-02, 07:08 PM
solsister
Visiting Guest
fixed!

Thanks for the help all!! All I needed to do was add fuel injector cleaner,and more gas. You guys were right it was bad gas! The mechanic told me to never use that brand again! I'm not suppose to say, but I will anyways. It was bp gas. So just beware. It was really hard on my car.
Thanks Again!!!

Old 09-04-02, 08:20 AM
otter_
Visiting Guest
glad

to hear it was a cheap fix!