Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

noisy brakes

Visiting Guest

09-02-02, 05:49 PM   #1  
jin
noisy brakes

2000 Honda Accord, 18,000 miles, bought 2 years ago, my brakes are squealing when I press on the brakes, it just started doing it couple months ago, are they going bad?

Sponsored Links

CAL

09-02-02, 06:18 PM   #2  
If they start squealing two months ago, you should have had them replaced 58 days ago! We have all learned this the hard way, hopefully you will be luckier than I have been.
There are sensors on the brake pads and when the pads get to a point of needing to be replaced, these sensors start rubbing on the rotor. This causes the squeaking sound. If you take care of the problem than, there isn't much damage done.
However, if you wait...as we all have. You learn that the pads have worn out and you now have metal to metal contact between the pads and rotor. This causes grooves to be cut into the rotors by the pads and make the rotors unuseable. Now you have to replace the pads and the rotors, instead of just the pads.
To answer your question...Yes you need to have the brakes checked/repaired. They are probally past the "going bad" state.
I just reread this post and I appolize, I'm not trying to be insulting....I have done this to many times on my own vehicles. Each time, I kick myself in the butt for waiting to long. What could have been a $20.00 fix turns into a $80.00 plus job and that is with me doing the repairs. So sorry, I came off this way. I hope I am wrong and you don't have to deal with this added cost. In any event, you need to have you brakes check ASAP!

Visiting Guest

09-02-02, 06:53 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Squealing is not grinding and may be just dust/poorly made replacement pads. May not be worn out.

However, as suggested, pull off the wheels and have a look to see if you need brakes or not.

Visiting Guest

09-02-02, 08:33 PM   #4  
jin
I'm hoping its only dust, come on now, this is a 2000 Honda, only 18000 miles, quality workmanship and parts... I felt the rotor no abnormal grooves, I'll let the pro's look at it....thanks

CAL

09-02-02, 08:57 PM   #5  
OK, OK....I read the squealing brakes thing and forgot all about it being a 2000 with 18K miles.....OH the nightmares I have had!! Hopefully, it is just dust!
It will take a while for me to get over this one!!!!

Search this Thread