92 Civic DX w/ 300k miles

Old 09-02-02, 06:19 PM
red7
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 92 Civic DX w/ 300k miles

I have a 92 honda Civic DX. Currently it reads a whooping 316+k miles on the odometer. It's been in its original condition from when I bought it new. Now, its acting up and needs major work. First major problem I had was a blown cylinder head in the #1 cylinder. I spent over $3K dollars to have the car fix at the beginning of the year ('02). 30k miles later ( I drive long distances), the same problem arises. #1 cylinder is blown. I took the car back to SF honda whom I thought would have done a splendid job, but they then tell me that it was the "bottom half" of the engine that needs work and that looks like about a $4k or more dollars. Now, what I'm interested in is what my alternatives should be? I mean the car has not been in any major accidents. The chasis of the car is still ( I consider) prestine. People tell me to change the engine. If so...what kind? I'm told a used one, and even JDM engines (I think they're refurbished engines?). Anyway, I need suggestions on what the best alternative for this car is. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. And if you know any businesses that does automotive work, especially hondas in the bay area, I would appreciate it alot. Thanks people.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-02, 06:38 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The dealer in my opinion did one of a couple of things:

1) Took a gamble that the lower end was ok to try to "save" you money, hoping it was ok, but 3k is steep for an upper end redo.

2) Ripped you off, because with that mileage the whole engine should have been rebuilt/replaced.

3) Should have warned you the lower end might be on borrowed time and let you make the call what you want to do.

My vote is to compare the price of the repairs/replacement of the engine versus pitching the car for a replacement.