Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fan speed on 92 Dodge Shadow

Visiting Guest

09-03-02, 05:56 AM   #1  
Fyxxez
Fan speed on 92 Dodge Shadow

My wife says that her fan only operates at 1 speed. I looked at it , she's right. Popped the ventilation control loose out of the dash and it seems the vacuum part is ok , I can hear the vacuum operating the damper to change where the air goes, floor to defrost, etc. But only one speed airflow. I'm thinking fan control switch right there in the control unit. More likely than the blower motor? I would think if the blower motor was going out , it would be all the way out. Am I on target? The car has about 62 k on it.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-03-02, 09:20 AM   #2  
Joe_F
If only high speeds (or HIGHER speeds) work, you likely have a wiped blower resistor. VERY common on Chrysler products of this vintage.

I know you fix appliances for a living (you're on Jeff's forum, right??). It looks much the same as a thermal fuse for a dryer would (with wires and ceramic/plastic base). Typically it's behind the glovebox or on the firewall, etc. The dealer's parts department should be able to point it out to you in a jiffy. Two screws and a new part should do it.

Let us know what you find.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-03-02, 08:48 PM   #3  
I agree, that's your problem!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-04-02, 03:22 AM   #4  
Fyxxez
After more questions to her I determined it was the switch. I pulled off the trim , pulled out the control unit. Unhooked the vacuum hose fitting , a cable, the power plug. Went to my local junkyard where I got one from 94 Shadow for 25 bucks. Slapped it in, works fine.
I am an appliance guy , Joe. Its my part -time gig though. Firefighting is my main gig. Thats my living.

Visiting Guest

09-04-02, 06:03 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Good job, glad you fixed it.

Yes, I remember you from Jeff's forum.

Welcome back anytime.

Search this Thread