Fan speed on 92 Dodge Shadow

Old 09-03-02, 05:56 AM
Fyxxez
Visiting Guest
Fan speed on 92 Dodge Shadow

My wife says that her fan only operates at 1 speed. I looked at it , she's right. Popped the ventilation control loose out of the dash and it seems the vacuum part is ok , I can hear the vacuum operating the damper to change where the air goes, floor to defrost, etc. But only one speed airflow. I'm thinking fan control switch right there in the control unit. More likely than the blower motor? I would think if the blower motor was going out , it would be all the way out. Am I on target? The car has about 62 k on it.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-02, 09:20 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If only high speeds (or HIGHER speeds) work, you likely have a wiped blower resistor. VERY common on Chrysler products of this vintage.

I know you fix appliances for a living (you're on Jeff's forum, right??). It looks much the same as a thermal fuse for a dryer would (with wires and ceramic/plastic base). Typically it's behind the glovebox or on the firewall, etc. The dealer's parts department should be able to point it out to you in a jiffy. Two screws and a new part should do it.

Let us know what you find.

Old 09-03-02, 08:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, that's your problem!

Old 09-04-02, 03:22 AM
Fyxxez
Visiting Guest
After more questions to her I determined it was the switch. I pulled off the trim , pulled out the control unit. Unhooked the vacuum hose fitting , a cable, the power plug. Went to my local junkyard where I got one from 94 Shadow for 25 bucks. Slapped it in, works fine.
I am an appliance guy , Joe. Its my part -time gig though. Firefighting is my main gig. Thats my living.

Old 09-04-02, 06:03 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Good job, glad you fixed it.

Yes, I remember you from Jeff's forum.

Welcome back anytime.