Rough Idle

Old 09-03-02, 11:29 AM
Rough Idle

First of all.....I have a 1998 Ford Mustang V6 coupe. Ok...now to my problem. For a while now, my car has been idling rather roughly, and the RPM's seem low (around 550 - 600) at idle. The car actually bounces up and down when I am sitting still. At a stop light, I have to sit there for a while for it to happen, but when I turn the car on, and let it sit, that's when it happens the most. Tha car also seems to lack the oomph that it once had. I have done the following so far, in an attempt to correct this problem: changed spark plugs, wires, PCV valve, fuel filter, had my injectors cleaned, and changed the battery. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-02, 04:56 PM
sounds like it is missing sometimes does the check engine light ever come on?
have you attempted to have codes checked?
autozone can check your codes as a service they provide but if nothing shows up you may have to have it diagnossed at a shop.

Old 09-03-02, 05:39 PM
See....that's the thing. I NEVER get a check engine light. I took my car up to Autozone once, and they scanned it for codes, even though there was no light, and it came up clean. Can there be codes in the computer that DON"T produce a check engine light? Do I have to take it to an actual shop to have it read there? Thanks

Old 09-03-02, 05:47 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have you tried cleaning the throttle body and or EGR valve and inspecting them for carbon buildup?

Old 09-04-02, 06:50 AM
No, I haven't tried that. I did look into the throttle body a couple of times, and it seems to have a coating of black gunk around the edges, but I don't know how much of that is too much. I guess I'll give that a try. Any more suggestions. Thanks

Old 09-04-02, 07:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Start there and let's see what that nets us.

Old 09-09-02, 09:54 AM
Ok, Joe, I cleaned them both as best i could, and it still happens. The car still idles low/rough, and the lack of power is still evident. When accelerating, the car sounds fine, but sometimes it's jerky, and it just feels like there is some force counteracting the acceleration. Any more ideas? Thanks

Old 09-09-02, 12:01 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Use autolibrary to see if they have the procedure to check the idle air control valve. This is most common cause of idle hunt in Fords.

Old 09-16-02, 06:58 AM
Well.....idle problems aside, could that account for the jerkyness, and general lack of power while driving?

Old 09-16-02, 09:02 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It could, sure.