1994 Volvo 960 - transmission and engine woes

Old 09-03-02, 11:00 PM
maytiger
Visiting Guest
1994 Volvo 960 - transmission and engine woes

Hi,

I have a 1994 Volvo 960 with 130k miles. The timing belt just broke and caused engine damage. The transmission is also failing and probably needs to be rebuilt.

Should I have the repairs made (engine rebuilt and transmission rebuilt) or scrap the car? Dealer said could be up to $7000.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-02, 03:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ah, one of the "benefits" of owning foreign car. Makes my old American iron look better each day .

130k is spit in the bucket for a Volvo based on their reliaiblity record and claims. Was the car maintained properly?

Beyond that, you should see what the car is worth, book value wise and that should be your determining factor.

If the car is worth more than 7000 bucks and you like it, putting an engine and transmission in it is an "OK" idea. Ok in the sense that Volvos are quite strange and not worth much more than bus fare on a good day due to their oddness (as you are seeing).

If the rest of the car (body, frame, interior) is in poor shape, then it is not worth the money. You'll have a great powertrain on a toilet bowl .

Start with the book value at kbb.com, determine if it is worth it from there.

Also get some other estimates from independent repair shops that specialize in Volvo repair. There are many such shops throughout the country.

Old 09-04-02, 07:48 AM
maytiger
Visiting Guest
Thanks Joe!

This helps clarify the situation. The car is in good shape exterior and interior. It has no visible rust. We like the car a lot for its utility, comfort and safety (except when it breaks down of course )

kbb says the private party value for excellent shape is $7680. So it seems worth it to research private party repair shops to get this repair bill down if possible.

thanks again!