1987 dodge cararvan se 3.0 fuel pump probelm

Old 09-04-02, 10:00 AM
1987 dodge cararvan se 3.0 fuel pump probelm

somehow i cannot access my threads but will continue on with problem in hopes of getting info. i have taken the battery out of the car, and jumped the wires to the fuel pump positive to the gn/bk and ground on the 16 gry at the connector to the fuel tank on frame near ther rear wheel. the pump did not start. it sounds like the gas tank is empty when you hit the bottom of the tank even though the gage reads a little under 1/2. is there anything that would prevent the pump from comming on if the tank becomes empty.i dont want to put gas in the car if i am going to have to take the tank down.but if the pump wont run if the tank is dry then ill put gas in the car to insue there is gas in it. first ,before droping the tank to pull pump this is the first time ive had to work on a car with a computer ,as the computer now makes it harder with all the sensors to isolate the problem and my haynes book is not very helpfull the wiring diagram is poor and does not cover the fuel pump. i dont have the money to buy the factory books like i used to and could not get into the places you suggested in your reply on the webso i have to use this.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-02, 05:24 PM
if you check for power at the dark green black wire while someone is cranking engine over it will tell you if your relay is working. turning the key on only engages the relay for a second then when you start cranking the engine the computer recieves a signal from the distributer and the computer will then engage the relay as long as its recieving the signal whether cranking or running. you will have one battery power at the relay and one key one power and usually a blue and yellow wire wich comes from the computer wich grounds the relay turning it on. so if you disconnect the relay you should have 2 power sources with the key on, with the key off you will only have one power.

Old 09-05-02, 08:51 AM
Thumbs up

tks for the info. the relay works like you said.i am used to 120 relays, on or off . so that isolated the relay . the action is correct while cranking. while trying to check the voltage at the pump disconnect from the relay ,with my wife cranking ,the battery when down because of all this trouble shooting. it apears that there is 0ne volt when she is not cranking , and the relay is open . that dont seem right to me . i am waiting for my battery to charge up so i can retest the system ,with a full charge to start with. and will proceed from there and keep you informed tks again

Last edited by jim millett; 09-06-02 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-10-02, 02:56 PM
on the road again

tks to bejay. if you had not told me about the relay action. i would have been going around in circles. i did change the pump and fuel filter and its up and running . droping the tank was not as bad as i expected thanks for the help on that also . you were a blessing and i hope you are repayed ten fold .

Old 09-10-02, 06:19 PM
A month or so ago, I asked why my fuel tank guage sometimes did not respond showing an empty tank when I knew I had gas in the tank. When I would shut the car off and turn it on again it would show the correct setting. Since this problem did not affect the running of the car I continued to drive it. I have a Ply Gr Caravan 6 cyls. Van. One day I attempted to start the car and it wouldn't start. My mechanic jumped the battery and it started and lasted long enough to get it to his garage. I thought it was the alarm system but he assured my the problem was related to the battery. I couldn't believe that a Sears Battery less than 3 years old would malfuntion. He tested the alternator and it appeared to function okay but some dash lights didn't light. He said he wanted to work on it a little more. The next day he called me and stated that the alternator was too small for my car. He put a larger one in, changed the battery, which was an incorrect one for my car and everything is fine. I thought I would share this information with you. You have always been so helpful to me in the past. Additionaaly, I enjoy reading about other people"s maintenance problem, and have turn on several friends to your web site. Again Thankyou