Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

timing

Visiting Guest

09-05-02, 02:48 PM   #1  
babygirl
timing

I have an 88 Mercury Tracer that is out of time....what would anyone recommend as the easiest way to put it back into time???

Sponsored Links

09-05-02, 04:45 PM   #2  
First why do you feel its out of time and are we talking ignition or valve timing?

Visiting Guest

09-06-02, 07:32 AM   #3  
babygirl
it's ignition timing.....the water pump recently went out and a few of my friend's changed it for me while I was at work........when they got done it wouldn't start...I can find nothing else wrong with it.....it started before......it's out of time.......I've never messed with timing before and need to know the easiest way to put it back into time........

Visiting Guest

09-06-02, 09:03 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Start with the autolibrary link I have in my signature file. Barring that, pick up a Chilton or Haynes at any parts store or public library.

Should have what you want.

Visiting Guest

09-06-02, 10:20 AM   #5  
babygirl
they don't make a haynes or a chilton's manual for an 88 Tracer...have already looked....ordered one of helminc.com and it has nothing in there about timing whatsoever.....so that's useless on this problem. I can't go to the autolibrary site for some reason....page states "No web site is configured at this address"

09-06-02, 10:43 AM   #6  
If changing the water pump involved messing with the timing belt, then you have a valve timing problem.

The distributor is run off of the cam shaft, so now both are probably off.

You should check out ebay to see if you can find a manual for your car. Somebody had to make one.

Chances are, if your car has a non-interferance engine, if you correct the adjustment of the timing belt you'll be ok.

Visiting Guest

09-06-02, 11:27 AM   #7  
Joe_F
If you bought an OEM Ford manual, it doesn't get any better than that. Either you bought the wrong manual, were sent the wrong manual or there are multiple books used for your car and you need to buy the whole set.

EVERYONE's book is based on the factory OEM manual Helm sells.

As for autolibrary, you have to use the link EXACTLY like I have it below, cutting and pasting it.

CAL

09-06-02, 02:46 PM   #8  
SPECIFICATION for a
1988 MERCURY TRACER-IMPORT

INTERFERENCE ENGINE APPLICATION
SUBSTANTIAL AND COSTLY ENGINE DAMAGE CAN OCCUR IF
BELT BREAKS OR SLIPS.
IT IS RECOMMENDED AT EVERY 60,000 MILES OR EVERY 48
MONTHS TO REPLACE TIMING BELT REGARDLESS OF THE
CONDITION.

If your friends removed the timing belt and didn't line the marks back up, they may be your x-friends!

09-06-02, 06:01 PM   #9  
gates makes a book that gives fairly good info on timing belt r&r and covers most vehicles you may want to see about purchasing this manual can be purchased at any automotive parts store that sells gates belts, you didnt state engine size but it is likely that the waterpump may have ran off the timing belt.

Search this Thread