Synthetic oil

Old 09-06-02, 05:20 AM
Synthetic oil

1997 Mustang 4.6L
stock
30K miles

I'd like some advice on whether or not to switch to synthetic oil. My Mustang is driven only a few thousand miles a year. It's stored in the winter. I've been using name brand conventional 5W-30 oil. What is the advantage of synthetic? Can I switch now? How often should it be changed?

Thanks....
Rich D.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-02, 06:01 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Waste of money frankly. It sounds well maintained and driven very easily.

You can switch at any time, but frankly it's a waste of money. A Mustang GT is not a "High performance" (in the sense that you race or beat on it) car and doesn't warrant such expense.

Extended drain intervals are a fallacy. Stick with the mfgr's recommended intervals for your type of driving. Use the owner's guide to help you.

Old 09-06-02, 10:14 AM
Dan Meyer
Visiting Guest
Very good advice from JoeR. A synthetic's ONLY advantage would be for easier cold starting. And I mean VERY cold- single digits and lower.
The only disagreement I have with JoeF is extended drains. Extended drains can be done within reason. Remember, the people who benefit with the normal drain periods are the oil companies and the oil change shops. The more often you change your oil the more money they make.
I have seen too much evidence with lab and fleet tests to confirm what I say.
However, oil is cheap. And if you change more or less often isn't a big cost deal. What ever makes you feel good.

Old 09-06-02, 10:45 AM
Thanks Dan & Joe...... I agree with that drain intervals should be based on manufacturers specs, not Jiffy Lube! I recall reading a test that Consumer Reports did a few years back. They tested a taxi fleet (NY?). The found no improvement in engine wear due to shorter intervals. They concluded to stick to specs.

Old 09-06-02, 11:25 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yes, that is a valid test by CR. It also proved that maintenance, not oil brand was the determining factor.

Dan: You'd better be within the mfgr's drain intervals and be able to prove it if you want them to eat an oil related repair later on. Without any proof or if you deviate from what they recommend, you're likely to be left holding the bag. My .02.

A while ago, a guy at GM told my dad that the best thing you could do was a 3k/3000 mile oil change. Think about it, GM benefits if you don't change your oil, you'll need to buy a new car or buy their parts .