Loud noise on left side....underneath car

Old 09-06-02, 10:49 AM
JF2003
Visiting Guest
Loud noise on left side....underneath car

I have a 1985 Chrysler Lebaron, 2.2L (Not turbo), 4 Cylinder, Automatic, 4 door, Electric fuel injection.

I just had new rotors, new front brake pads, new wheel bearings, my caliper rebuilt, an oil seal, and put fuel injector cleaner in my gas tank.

It almost feels like it drags underneath my feet when I take my foot off the acceleration or slow down not using my breaks. It also seems to drag just as I am starting to accelerate again after slowing down. Sound like a problem someone might be familiar with?? HELP!!!!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-02, 11:23 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Need more description of the problem.

Could be worn/dragging brakes. Does the axle make a clunking/clicking noise when you turn? If so, bad CV joints.

Old 09-06-02, 11:54 AM
JF2003
Visiting Guest
Yes, it makes a very very slight click noise when I make a turn. However, I just took it to the mechanic to fix the above mentioned items and it seems that should have been something he would have also noticed. Any particular reason why he wouldn't have mentioned it??

Are CV joints an expensive item to fix? How long can you ride on bad CV joints before something detrimental happens...like my wheels falling off or my axle breaking...or some outlandish, yet dangerous event??

Thanks a lot!!

Old 09-06-02, 01:04 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Get broken CV joints fixed right away. If they click and clunk when you turn, they are bad.

The best way to do it is to change the whole axle with a rebuilt unit.

Old 09-06-02, 01:21 PM
Please have them checked out and replace asap if necessary as Joe recommended. Mine froze up as I was turning.

Could have been a really bad thing if I'd been driving on a busy street. I was turning out of a driveway. The axle broke as I turned into the next drive.

Kay

Old 09-06-02, 01:23 PM
JF2003
Visiting Guest
How expensive is this to fix?? It isn't persay CLUNKING, but it does like I said have a very very slight click when I turn left. And is there a reason why the mechanic I JUST went to wouldn't have told me of my CV joints when I was doing so much front end work? I had my rotors replaced, my wheel bearings replaced, my front brake pads replaced...

Old 09-06-02, 01:32 PM
he may not have even test drove the vehicle. If he did, he probably did not make sharp turns. You may have not specifically mentioned a "clicking" noise to him, so he may not have been looking at it, don't mistake front end work for brake work, he probably was in a hurry.

Old 09-06-02, 02:27 PM
JF2003
Visiting Guest
He actually wouldn't let me come pick it up until he had test driven it. This was after he did all the front end work. Not only that...when I brought it in to begin with the right wheel was clicking very very loud...this was the wheel bearing he told me...could he have been trying to swindle me???

How much does it cost to repair CV joints???

Old 09-06-02, 03:31 PM
Looked up the price of the halfshafts:
New at AutoZone (didn't list remanufactured) = 100.00 Each
Reman. at NAPA (didn't list new)========== 64.00 Each

Of course, this doesn't include labor to put them on, I have no idea what that would cost.

Joe, correct me if I am wrong here. If there is a dragging feeling when JF2003 lets off the gas, wouldn't you go back to what had just been replaced?
90% of all problems are technician induced
Could it be the rebuilt caliper or an overtightened wheel bearing?

Old 09-06-02, 05:33 PM
Mike55
Visiting Guest
Perhaps no anti-rattle clips were installed and the pads are bouncing in the calipers? Just a thought. They do click when it's rolling. The dragging is another thing.

Old 09-09-02, 05:17 AM
JF2003
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. Does anyone have any suggestions for hesitation, jumpy acceleration?? It seems up to about 28mph or 30 it hesitates then jumps into gear. Seems fine after about 40 mph. Not really hesitation.

Old 09-09-02, 06:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Could be anything from the work that was done or a slipping tranmission...check the fluid condition and level.

You should go back to this mechanic and have him recheck his work.

Old 09-09-02, 07:30 AM
JF2003
Visiting Guest
Slipping transmission means I need a new one? Or can it be fixed? If so how expensive??

Old 09-09-02, 09:25 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It could be low on fluid or it's dirty....in such case the fluid and filter should be replaced.

First verify that any of the work done didn't go bad and that it solved the problem. If you paid for something that didn't solve your problem, then you deserve your money back or the problem fixed for free.

If I go to the doctor and my foot hurts and he tells me "your brains need a total rebuild", it doesn't solve my hurting foot, does it? . Same idea here.

Old 09-10-02, 07:31 AM
JF2003
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the info. Sorry to ask so many questions. I am NOT used to USED cars. I have only owned one in my life and it was brand new. So when it was broken I would take it to the dealer and it would get fixed like new. So I am learning now about under the hood.

Now my next question is what is an oil seal exactly??

Old 09-10-02, 07:56 AM
Mike55
Visiting Guest
An oil seal is a device designed to keep oil/fluids from leaking out around a joint or where a shaft extends through a casing (as in engine block or transmission case) They are usually a round metal piece with a rubber flap that circles the inside that rubs against a shaft of some sort to "seal" the shaft to the casing. Most that are designed to "seal" between two pieces that are flat machined surfaces are refered to as "gaskets" Without going overboard on an explaination, some areas that are flat machined surfaces are now sealed by a liquid sealer that hardens to a degree and serves as a gasket.