Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1999 Dodge Dakota ABS

Visiting Guest

09-06-02, 05:25 PM   #1  
J Ttom
1999 Dodge Dakota ABS

When driving my ABS light comes on then my air bag light. Then the speedometer and tack go to zero. If I press the brake every thing goes back to normal or if I wait a little and not press the brake the engine light will come on and the odometer will flash NO BUSS. This all started a few days after I had my tires replaced. 1999 dodge dakota 5.2 V8 4x4

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-07-02, 07:06 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Were wider tires put on? If so, they may be hitting the sensor.

Possibility the sensors were damaged by the tire shop too.

Visiting Guest

09-07-02, 07:21 AM   #3  
TECHMAN
Were taller tires put on if so the V.S.S. sensor in rear of trans is reading diff. than wheel speed and will cause same problem.----Dave---

09-07-02, 07:47 AM   #4  
abs lamp

I think you need to have your codes checked.Autozone may not be the freebie here.You may have a serial communication problem between modules,causing no buss to display.The antilock module,powertrain control module,instrument panel cluster, body control module and supplemental restraint modules all are tied together through a serial data connection,sometimes referred to as buss.You may need codes read by a Chrysler specific scan tool.Im not sure a generic scan tool would reveal some of the codes.Hopefully its just a broken wire or sensor from having your tires changed,but why would it take several days to occur?Perhaps its a bad ignition switch or loose connection near the brake lamp switch.

Visiting Guest

09-07-02, 01:17 PM   #5  
Joe_F
This makes sense.

My uncle called me up on his 1997 LHS that the MIL light was on. I borrowed my friend's Snap On Scanner, but it can't communicate with the computer and I get that "Bus" error message.

I would think the SnapOn thingie could read it!!!

Visiting Guest

09-07-02, 04:20 PM   #6  
J Ttom
I had the same tires put on. auto zone said that the check engine light needs to stay on so they can read it. I will take it to a dodge dealer. Ill let you know what they said.

09-08-02, 10:27 AM   #7  
Tool companies refuse to accept any liabilaty for improperly repaired vehicle systems.This is why aftermarket scan tools get limited data,Im suprised that they get abs data.The big 3 block them for a good reason.Its all legal crap.

Visiting Guest

09-08-02, 10:35 AM   #8  
Joe_F
I believe this is being worked on and sought by the aftermarket as to having the updated information provided by the OEM to the scan tool makers.

Visiting Guest

09-10-02, 01:39 PM   #9  
J Ttom
update well my engine light came on and stayed on I went to autozone they said on oxygen sensor is bad? ok what about the other lights would that cause the other faults?

09-10-02, 02:00 PM   #10  
No an o2 sensors will not cause your other problems.Autozone can not read the codes I was talking about.Your o2 sensor may not even be bad if you have a bad ground,chaffed wire or serial communication problem you get all kinds of weird things.Have your codes read on a chrysler specific scan tool.If you get codes you can search for a common denominater.

Visiting Guest

09-11-02, 07:25 AM   #11  
Joe_F
It's a 1999 truck. You might be able to squeak out free repair from the dealer under warranty.

Visiting Guest

09-20-02, 05:37 AM   #12  
J Ttom
I finaly took i to the dealer they did not find any faults when they read the codes just the o2 sencer they said that the abs sencer will cause all the lights that i was talking about. I think I am just going to wait for it to fail before i replace the abs sencer. thanks for the help
JTtom

Search this Thread