Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

power windows on a buick problem

TX

09-06-02, 06:26 PM   #1  
power windows on a buick problem

Got a question on power windows on a 96 buick skylark,Window moves up and down a few inches at a time.it seems like the motor has to rest before it goes again.This is the driver side window.The pass side window did the same thing a couple of years ago and finally quit all together.I have siliconed the tracks but it does not seem to help.I was wondering if there might be a kind of overload switch that has to reset in the moter.
I am so sick of this car that my future wife has brought into my life it seems there is always something.
I think after I blow up the car or push it off a cliff I will get her a Toyota I have never had problems with mine.Are the moters high dollar and how big a pain is it to change?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-06-02, 06:56 PM   #2  
darrell McCoy
buick windows

Buick had a rash of window motor problems in mid 90's. I believe dealers get 200 + for replacement motor and labor. You can change it out yourself "But you must have a repair manual" else you will be in for a WOS. Can end up in injury or more problems than you would like.Motors can be purchased for around 75 bucks or so of that style.

09-06-02, 07:58 PM   #3  
they do use circuit breakers that automaticly trip and reset when cooled off but most likely cause is a bad motor causing the breaker to trip in the first place.

TX

09-07-02, 05:45 AM   #4  
Thanks guys

Thanks guys for the quick response,I will check out that link ASAP.
I dont want to open a can of worms with this repair.I can only imagine GM they never make anything easy.I dont want to find out that I have to drill thru spot welds and rivets to changs the thing.
Kind of like the 89 Chevy truck were the doors hinges are glued on or the front end were a kit must be installed to do an alinment.

Visiting Guest

09-07-02, 06:25 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Michael:

Have you checked autolibrary.org to see if they have anything on it?

Search this Thread