Xterra has brake light problem

Old 09-07-02, 06:08 PM
attila
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Xterra has brake light problem

My girlfriend has a 2000 Nissan Xterra and for some odd reason the two brake lights on the back of the vehicle aren't working! However, the redundant light in the CENTER works, but it's still not legal and she's already gotten a ticket for it.

I've checked the fuses and they're all good. As an added check, I pulled the brake light fuse and center light stops working - put it back and the light works again. I checked the bulbs and they're all A-OK. After checking the relays, I don't seem to find one for the brake lights and the only thing I can think of doing now is just buying some new bulbs to see what happens.

Unfortunately we can't take the vehicle back to the dealer for a "freebie" because the car has 37K miles on it (go figure) and we're both returning students... so to make a long story short, we're broke. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

- Attila

Old 09-07-02, 08:37 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Possibly a bad brake light switch or a broken wire at the switch.

Nissan should still eat the repair even with being only 1000 miles over the factory warranty. Make them eat it.

Old 09-08-02, 03:41 PM
attila
Visiting Guest
Will try the dealer

I'll try the dealer but is seems that Nissans are plagued with electrical problems. I have an 96 pathfinder myself and it's an absolute horrendous lemon. Currently if I put a fuse in to have my dome lights work it blows right away - I can only assume that there's a short in the system then. I really don't know what to do - it could be anywhere, and I only have 66K on it! Well, do you know of any place that would have all of the recalls for a vehicle? Not necessarily only the recalls that the governement issues because of safety, but the ones that the factory issues? Please let me know if you have any links/ ideas! Thanks!

- Attila

Old 09-08-02, 04:18 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yes Nissans aren't worth a wooden nickel...they never were .

Alldata.com has the titles of all the bulletins issued by the mfgr.

Old 10-01-02, 10:00 PM
wythors
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Joe_F
Yes Nissans aren't worth a wooden nickel...they never were .

Gee, there's some unbiased advice.

Atilla, I'd try new bulbs first. It they're not the problem I'd think that the problem is in the wiring somewhere, as the 3rd light operates on the same circuit as the main lights. I'd agree with Joe that a dealer should be able to get your problem covered under "goodwill" by the factory.

Old 10-02-02, 03:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Part of the "quality" of a vehicle is the backing and service the factory provides.

If they won't take care of this simple repair with only 1,000 miles out of warranty, I'd kindly tell them to keep their product and surely not recommend it to anyone else.

I have found Nissan's quality to be very lackluster compared to a Toyota of the same vintage and price range if we are talking Japanese vehicles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: