1986 fiero (v6) 2.8 wont start

Old 09-07-02, 06:25 PM
Stones
Visiting Guest
1986 fiero (v6) 2.8 wont start

car was running for about 1 minute after it was started..then started to chug a little, then off it went, to not start again that day. Next day, it started again and ran for about 5 minutes, then shut down. hasent started in 2 weeks...just turns over. I have replaced plugs and wires, distribitor, distribitor cap and rotor. Fuel pump is a year old, I can still hear that humming with ignition on. I can smell a strong odor of fuel after trying to start the car. no visable fuel leaks. The coil is sparking. Please help!
Thank you

Last edited by Stones; 09-07-02 at 06:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-02, 07:27 PM
did you check for spark at the plug just because you have good fire at the coil doesn't mean you are getting it to the plug should be able to jump atleast a 1/4 inch gap at plug.
have you pulled a spark plug is it wet with gas?
check codes and see if anything comes up you jumper the diagnostic connector pins a and b and count the flashes of check engine light should start with 12 and will flash each code 3 times.
the diagnostic connector is located behind the panel on the center console behind the shifter has two torx screws to remove panel to get to connector.

Old 09-07-02, 07:43 PM
Stones
Visiting Guest
yes, old plugs were a little wet (fuel smell). I didnt check for spark at the plug, will do that tommorrow. Whats the tool called that I need to check the codes? Thank you

Old 09-07-02, 07:52 PM
just use a paper clip or a small piece of wire something metal to jumper the pins together and then turn your key on and count the flashes of the check engine light, they do sell code readers at auto parts stores but they are not really worth buying cause it will give you the same info a paperclip will.

Old 09-07-02, 08:04 PM
Stones
Visiting Guest
Will try that tomorrow. If you have any other things I should try, go ahead and post, Ill try them tommorrow as well. Thanks again bejay

Old 09-07-02, 08:31 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Start with the posts and links in my signature file below.

Old 09-08-02, 06:54 PM
Stones
Visiting Guest
Update

Bejay...Followed the suggestion...no codes...and very little spark at the plugs..turned distributor a little bit, and bingo..running like a charm. what would have made it do this.

(p.s Joe, some sort of reply would have been nice, since I already hit your referral sites sites..thank you)

Old 09-08-02, 09:57 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No further reply needed until you've checked the basics (and verified them).

Half to 3/4 of the posts/questions answered here could be solved or at least most basic questions eliminated if folks would read the "Read here before posting" post. It answers most questions.

I don't retype what I've said 100 times before .

Timing is one of the basics which you changed by moving the distributor .

Old 09-09-02, 12:26 PM
Stones
Visiting Guest
Thank you