Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

alternators

Visiting Guest

09-07-02, 06:28 PM   #1  
mrlnac
alternators

the old alternator on my truck stopped charging the other day so I promptly took the truck to a local parts shop and had it tested in the vehicle and was told that it was not charging at all. I then removed the old alternator and went back to the parts store prepared to buy a repacement, before I ask them to bring out the replacement I had the counter sales person do a bench test on the old alternator....... to my surprise I was then told that it was charging 16 volts. So whats up with this thing? It sounds like a wiring problem to me............. any suggestions?

Sponsored Links

09-07-02, 07:15 PM   #2  
have no idea could be wiring or regulator cant really help much not knowing year, make , model.

Visiting Guest

09-07-02, 08:35 PM   #3  
Joe_F
16 volts is in the neighborhood of overcharging. 14.2-14.5 is more normal than 16.

Usually a wiped regulator causes that, but as BeJay said, without the model and make and year, it might as well be a Yugo and we'd still have no clue.

Search this Thread