Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Chevrolet Lumina water pump

Visiting Guest

09-08-02, 11:39 AM   #1  
danielmccoy
Chevrolet Lumina water pump

1993 Chevrolet Lumina sedan, 6 cylinder, 3.1 liter engine, 97K miles. I've got coolant leaking from vicinity of the water pump. All hoses in that area are good so I'm assuming I've got a bad water pump. I've got a Haynes manual and it says in order to replace the water pump it may be necessary to remove the air conditioning compressor. Has anyone done this repair on this type of car and did you have to remove the compressor? Any tips and suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-08-02, 12:30 PM   #2  
TECHMAN
The water pump can be replaced with removing the a/c comp. It may be ness to remove the ft. a/c bracket but that is all. DONOT DISCHARGE A/C!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -------Good Luck--Dave-----

Visiting Guest

09-08-02, 01:32 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Check autolibrary below to see if that has better R&R procedures than the Haynes.

Visiting Guest

09-08-02, 06:06 PM   #4  
danielmccoy
Thanks for the reponse Techman and Joe. After removing the coolant recovery tank and serpentine belt I can see that I don't need to remove the A/C compressor, in fact it looks like an easy job to replace the water pump. Joe, the autolibrary link you suggested has a much better diagram for this procedure than Haynes. I do have 1 last question.... the water pump pully has 4 retaining bolts which I need to remove to get into the pump but the pully is free-spinning both directions, how do I hold it still so I can turn the bolts out??? Certainly there is a trick I'm not aware of.

09-08-02, 06:18 PM   #5  
you can usually use a pry bar placed betwwen two of the bolts while you loosen the other two dont remove any bolts completely until you have them all loose. air tools usually have enough torque to snap them loose easily also but you may not have air available.

Visiting Guest

09-08-02, 10:02 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Crack 'em loose with the belt still attached. Then they will come out easier when you get to this step.

That's how I did my cousin's Taurus pump and autolibrary stated the same.

If not, you can hold it and still crack it loose.

Visiting Guest

09-10-02, 09:35 AM   #7  
redneck
Yes, easy project I have done several 3.1's. The pulley can be tough--I used an air impact once and broke the bolts off--bent the pulley using a prybar--be careful--or you will be buying a new pulley.

Visiting Guest

09-10-02, 06:42 PM   #8  
danielmccoy
I had already removed the serpentine belt so I used bejay's suggestion of a prybar between 2 bolts. It worked great, I got all 4 bolts out with no trouble. Picked up a new water pump tonight and will install it tomorrow evening.

Visiting Guest

09-11-02, 06:19 PM   #9  
danielmccoy
Finished installing new water pump, test drove and no more coolant leakage!

Visiting Guest

09-11-02, 07:31 PM   #10  
Joe_F
Good job!

Search this Thread