Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Emergency! 94 Jeep Wrangler Auto Tranny Problem!

Visiting Guest

09-08-02, 05:42 PM   #1  
JeeperJake
Emergency! 94 Jeep Wrangler Auto Tranny Problem!

(94 YJ 6cyl. w/ 999 auto tranny) okay, ive been driving around a lot on the highway this weekend to see the UT/MTSU game, and on the way home today, my jeep started doing wierd stuff::

When i would take off from a stop light, i would hit the gas and it would just rev up, then catch all of a sudden. then later on when i was driving it would rev up real high when i let off the gas doing about 40. then it wouldnt even shift into 3rd when i was going fast - it would just stay in second and rev really high, and when i would go up hills, i would give more gas, it would rev higher in second, but it lost all power. funny though, cause when i would let off the gas all the way when i was on the highway, it would **** to 3rd, but when i hit the gas, back to 2nd. then it died altogether. now the is a clattering sound coming from the transmission and it wont move when put in gear. had to leave it in Cookeville.

anyone know what my problem is? i would really appreciate the help before i have a chance to send it to a mechanic. Thanks!

- jake

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-08-02, 09:53 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Sounds like a slipping tranny. What's the condition and level of the fluid? When's the last time it was done?

Visiting Guest

09-09-02, 07:56 AM   #3  
JeeperJake
its definitely been too long since i last had it done, but does it just need a flush and fill up or does it sound like i will need a new transmission? for some reason i think the mechanic will say i need a new transmission....

Visiting Guest

09-09-02, 09:21 AM   #4  
Joe_F
If the fluid is burned or hasn't been changed in a while, then yes, the tranny could be bad.

Try changing the fluid and filter and see if that helps.

Search this Thread