Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

93 Honda Civic loses power

Visiting Guest

09-09-02, 08:24 AM   #1  
dwhapp
93 Honda Civic loses power

I have a 93 Honda Civic with a standard transmission and a 1.6 liter engine. The other night it loast all electrical power when I was coming home. First the speedometer stopped working, then the headlights began to fade, then the radio stopped and finally I lost power steering and the engine died.

I know it is either the alternator or the battery. I replaced the battery and it seems to be running fine now but I am still apprehensive about taking it out at night in case it does it again. I especially want to be sure because I don't want my wife and baby getting stranded anywhere.

Do you think I fixed the problem or am I just draining the new battery? Should I take the alternator out and have it tested(which is what I don't want to do) or am I good to go?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-09-02, 09:19 AM   #2  
Joe_F
The alternator is likely bad as the battery wouldn't just die like that in most cases.

Do an output check with a digital meter as I have it in my signature file (The Basics post) and tell us what you find...

Replace the unit if needed with a Honda reman unit for best results if it proves to be bad.

Search this Thread