Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

emissions

Visiting Guest

09-12-02, 04:42 PM   #1  
pridenc412
emissions

Sorry trying to get the hang of this. I need some information on reducing hydrocarbon emissions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks K

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-12-02, 04:47 PM   #2  
josh1
had a similar problem. Try your O2 sensor(s) and cat convertor. I tried those "guaranteed to passliquid crap" it didnt work. New convertor and ndew o2 sensor they tell me it passed with flying colors.

Hope this helps-Josh

09-12-02, 06:12 PM   #3  
Hc indicates a misfire.If You have your readings hc,co,o2 and co2 plus rpms tested I'll try to help.You could throw a converter on every year it would likely pass.A car thats operating properly would pass with a bad catalytic in some cases.

Visiting Guest

09-12-02, 06:51 PM   #4  
pridenc412
emission

Thanks Josh1 and Davo. I am going to change my air filter and spark plugs and also use a fuel filter cleaner and a higher octane gasoline. I think the guy who did my inspection was trying to rip me off. I was only off by 2 points and I feel he could have done something to make up for that small of a difference. K

Visiting Guest

09-12-02, 10:27 PM   #5  
knuckles
It's not the inspector's job to make your car pass the test. In many cases, he could lose his license for doing so.

In PA for example, we are required to test cars in 'as received' condition. That means if your car comes in to the shop with the PCV valve hanging out of the valve cover, we are not permitted to install it correctly prior to testing. By law, we must complete the entire inspection.

Your car would fail the visual inspection. It may or may not fail the dyno test. The overall result of the test would be a failure. We are then required to supply you with an inspection report noting what item(s) failed. It's up to you to fix it (either DIY or pay a shop) & bring it in for a retest. The 1st retest is free. Subsequent retests are at your expense.

Last edited by knuckles; 09-13-02 at 09:04 AM.

Visiting Guest

09-13-02, 03:57 AM   #6  
Joe_F
I agree with Knuckles. An inspector, in theory in a state run shop has no interest in pass or fail for your car. It's a 9 to 5 job. Pass or fail they still get paid.

On the independent side, there are crooked shops that try to make money by failing people. However, this is a rarity. Part of the inspection program for states that have stations (shops, gas stations, etc) do it is that they in theory should get business from cars that REALLY DO fail. In most cases, simple measures and TLC/maintenance bring a car into compliance. This has been proven time and time again.

Most states have phone #s or websites to report problems with the inspection programs. Most states also take complaints quite seriously as federal money and grants depends on their programs being in compliance with other laws.

If the car is in good shape, it should whip through the test with flying colors. If not, most times, good TLC will bring it into compliance. Furthermore, if you prod the inspector and ask him/her to break the law, they will likely be EXTRA compliant with finding things wrong if you get my drift. Lol.

If it's in poor mechanical shape (bad valves, burns oil, poor compression), it is past its prime and should be repaired or pitched.

Again, as Knuckles said, the onus is on the owner to drive a compliant vehicle .

Knuckles: In NYS, you can be charged EACH time for an inspection . Therefore, it's in the owner's best interest to have a good running vehicle .

If we had some vehicle information, we'd be able to help!

Search this Thread