Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

turns over but wont start

Visiting Guest

09-14-02, 01:30 PM   #1  
crosswind
turns over but wont start

1993 Ford F-150, 5.0 Ltr, 4WD, automatic trans., 176,000 miles
engine turns over strong, but wont start. Engine leaks no oil, but it does burn some. Intermitantly, I see blue smoke. No pattern to the smoke though, some times at idle, sometimes just at the start, does not leave a cloud behind me, but I do suspect I need some top end work. engine has new plugs which I checked and they are not fouled. However, they are not wet either. After numerous atttempts to crank it, I thought maybe it was flooded. I checked the plugs and found them dry. I tried a bit of spray starter, and the engine started to fire, but only for a few revolutions. I suspect a faulty fuel pump of clogged fuel filter? By the way, there is fuel in the tank (checked that too).

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-14-02, 02:12 PM   #2  
crosswind
OK, I figured it would be best to start with checking the fuel filter. following the directions in the manual, you must first release the fuel pressure in the lines before removing the in line filter. To do this, you find the inertia sensor, (under the dash at the firewall) and pop up the little red button. This shuts off the fuel pump. You are supposed to do this while the engine is idling and then wait for the engine to stall. After that , you are supposed to crank the engine a few times to verify the system is off. That's great, but my engine wont start to begin with, so i just pretended it was running (sometimes thats the next best thing). after popping up the little red button, I could now fall in line with the rest of the instrucitons. I began to crank the engine while standing outside of the vehicle, and to my surprise, it started. With the fuel pump shut off however, the engine quickly stopped. After pushing the little red button to it's on position, I cranked the engine again and it is still running. Can you explain this? Once running, the engine runs smooth, with lots of power. .....Was there too much pressure? Will I have to release this pressure on a regular basis? Is this a sign of things to come and should I have the fuel pump replaced?

Visiting Guest

09-14-02, 03:23 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Start with the links and posts in my signature file below, most notably "The Basics" post.

Search this Thread