Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

fron transfer case

09-14-02, 03:29 PM   #1  
fron transfer case

I have a 1999 Chev. Z-71 4X4, V8, Automatic. The message center light comes on occaisionally and tells me to service 4X4. I comes on only after I have driven a while and will stay on until I turn off the engine and is off when the engine is restarted. I'm assuming that I need to add some lube in the transfer case. I can see 2 plugs on the drivers side. 1 looks like it's for draining the lube is the other the fill hole.

Do think that the reason the light is coming on is from the lube being low? Is the plug that is aboout halfway up the transfer case the fill hole? It appears that Chilton's nor Haynes has manuals for my truck yet.

Thanks,

John

Sponsored Links

09-14-02, 04:25 PM   #2  
that is your drain and fill plugs for the transfer case but i doubt that has anything to do with the light coming on does your owners manual say anything about this light ?

Visiting Guest

09-14-02, 09:12 PM   #3  
otter_
Autotrac...

may be a problem with a sensor or internal mechanicals. This design is much more involved than a regular part time 4wd GM setup. Should take it to a dealer.

Visiting Guest

09-15-02, 06:18 AM   #4  
Joe_F
1999 vehicle. Should be covered by the GM factory warranty. Have the dealer look at it.

09-15-02, 06:19 AM   #5  
Thanks for the responses.

The owner's manual states that it could be the fluid and just about anything else. It coming in occaisionally made me steer towards the fluid level or changing it out.

John

Visiting Guest

09-27-02, 07:17 PM   #6  
Jim Cockerham
I have the same problem with my 1999 GMC 4X4. visited my dealer today and he said it was probably in the control switch in the panel on the left where you place it in 4WD. I have checked the levels in the front differential and they were O.K. He told me that the message pertained to the electrical system and not the fluid levels. I have driven about one thousand miles since the light first came on (it goes off when the engine is killed and sometimes won't come back on for several hundred miles. At other times it will come on after only a few miles) Replacement of the switch, diagnostics and labor will be less than a hundred dollars, locally. He said it would be alright to run it until I come in next time for service.

09-27-02, 07:33 PM   #7  
Without GM scan tool you will be unable to read the sensors on the system.Front and rear prop shaft and codes.Good Luck

Search this Thread