Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Timing belt

Super Moderator

CANADA

09-15-02, 07:02 AM   #1  
Timing belt

The timing belt on my '88 Dynasty/3 liter engine broke.
Does anyone know if the valves are an "interference" type and can contact the pistons?

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

09-15-02, 08:07 AM   #2  
According to the Gates chart it is not a valve-bender.

Super Moderator

CANADA

09-15-02, 08:40 AM   #3  
Thanks a bunch!
Now I have another project after I get my new computer to accept an os.

Visiting Guest

09-15-02, 09:18 AM   #4  
Joe_F
As I recall, these have timing belt driven water pumps, so that should also be changed when doing the job.

Be careful about spending any real money on these 3.0 liter cars. They are collosal, oil burning junk and very unreliable and probleamatic.

Super Moderator

CANADA

09-15-02, 11:59 AM   #5  
Joe_F:
You could be right but with 275,000 km, quiet and not burning a drop of oil.
Must be one that Chrysler forgot to include in their extensive planned obsolescence program.

Visiting Guest

09-15-02, 01:03 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Or just plain luck

MI

09-17-02, 08:33 AM   #7  
On the contrary, Joe, these Mitsubishi 3.0L engines Chrysler used were actually a very good engines.... good, strong bottom end.... never need rebuilding. The only real problem was with the valve guides and seals.

Joe's right about the water pump. If you're going through all the trouble to replace the timing belt, since everything's apart it's good practice to replace the water pump at the same time - especially if it has a lot of miles on it. Water pumps need replacement eventually anyhow. You don't want to do this job twice.

If you're ambitious, you may want to consider also replacing the crank front seal if it's leaking and the camshaft end caps.

Visiting Guest

09-17-02, 09:30 AM   #8  
Joe_F
I disagree on the 3.0 liter engine. It is one of the worst engines in creation.

1) Any engine with poor valve guides and burning oil is a heap. Be in a Chevy, a Mitsubishi or a Ford. It's a known problem with it.

2) They tap, rap, knock and overall are lackluster. Crap out of the box from day #1.

3) Parts are expensive, being sourced from overseas and typically not available as quick as domestic Chrysler parts due to the sourcing. No thanks.

It is one of the WORST engines on the market. So much so, Chrysler has stopped using it to my recollection.

No thanks, I'll stay far away. I don't think I've been behind a 3.0 that didn't smoke or puff yet!

NY

09-18-02, 10:34 AM   #9  
Greg-H

You said it has 275,000 kilometers on it? What's that in miles-I'm sorry for being so American-just curious.

Super Moderator

CANADA

09-18-02, 12:10 PM   #10  
seancashmere:
275,000 km = 170,877 miles.

Check out some Canadian culture:
http://thepasarea.com/index2.htm

Search this Thread