96 Caravan overheating at high speeds only

Old 09-15-02, 08:51 PM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
96 Caravan overheating at high speeds only

I have a 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.0 liter six and three speed transmission. The problem I am having is the engine is overheating (temp gauge and light indicate), when the van is driven at highway speed, 60+, for even a short amount of time. If I turn on the heat, or slow down to 30-40 it cools down. I have checked the coolant level and it is fine, the fan is running, and there are no signs of any leaks. Any ideas? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-02, 03:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
How's the condition of the radiator and water pump?

Old 09-16-02, 06:10 AM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
The radiator appears to be in fine condition. I don't know how to judge the water pumps condition though.

Old 09-16-02, 06:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mileage? Some of those 3.0's have belts and water pumps that should be changed at recommended intervals.

Check autolibrary below to see what they have to say on that.

Old 09-16-02, 06:39 AM
Lightbulb

I would suggest to replace the lower radiator hose. Plus while your @ it, you should also change the upper radiator hose. As when you are driving high speed, the lower radiator hose collapsees @ starves the engine with coolant. Thus the temperature rises. Keep me posted.

OM

Old 09-16-02, 07:53 AM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
The van has about 105,000 miles on it. I am not the original owner, so I can't say for sure what has been replaced and what hasn't. Although I am planning on having the timing belt replaced before I am stuck with a boat anchor under my hood.

Search this Thread