94 Toyota Transmission problem

Old 09-16-02, 05:52 AM
n2cruzin
Visiting Guest
Exclamation 94 Toyota Transmission problem

Long story but here it goes

I have a 94 Toyota 4x4 That was part of a Head Gasket recall (3.0V6). THe dealership had to do this repair 3 times before they got it right( oil leaks ). After the last visit I noticed that the engine is heating up faster and getting hotter than before. This was determined by looking at the temperature gauge. The overdrive would not engage until 5 to 6 miles down the road. I have tried use the overdrive switch on the shifter to see if I could force it but that didn't work. It appears to only happen when the engine cools down. I have taken it back to the dealership and they say everything is operating within specs.
I disagreed. Eating me up on gas mileage Need some help

Last edited by n2cruzin; 09-16-02 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-16-02, 06:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Did they change the thermostat when they did the repair? First place I would start and they should know better if they didn't change it!

Old 09-16-02, 11:07 AM
n2cruzin
Visiting Guest
I called the dealership and they stated that they machined the heads and replaced the gaskets but not the thermostat. I understand the temperature effect. How would this affect the overdrive?

Old 09-16-02, 12:23 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It may all be affected by the poorly operating (temperature wise) engine. Have them put in a new thermostat and flush the coolant at no charge and have them look at the overdrive for you.

It may go away when the overheating is solved.

Old 09-16-02, 01:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Will not go into OD until almost normal operating temp which is slightly below half.

You cannot force it to go in.

Larry

BTW: Thermostat is not covered under recall. Would be at your expense.

Old 09-16-02, 01:12 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. If that were me, I'd be at the dealer's door for a free thermostat.

As the customer, I brought the car in for overheating concerns. Basically does the same thing! Lol. I would think at MINIMUM the dealer wants to safeguard their work by changing a 10 dollar part to be sure it's not hung up!

But then again, according to our original poster, the dealer did the job three times before getting it right!

Old 09-16-02, 04:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Poster never stated what the original problem was.

I have a 94 Toyota 4x4 That was part of a Head Gasket recall (3.0V6).
Also you state they redid it 3 times. Did they replaced the headgaskets 3 times (for oil leaks). What was the cause of the leaks?

Larry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: