Power Steering System on 1988 Honda Accord

Old 09-16-02, 08:39 AM
chivasgeo
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Power Steering System on 1988 Honda Accord

I have a 1988 Honda Accord Automatic...I recently noticed oil "splash" marks underneath the hood, I located the source and it looks like it could be coming from the seal around the power steering pump pulley...according to the manual there is a "front seal" that can be replaced...So I thought "great..it should take a couple of hours to replace myself!" So I drive to get the front seal and return home, when I opened up the hood, the reservoir was "over filled" and there was a lot of fluid that came out of the reservoir! For some reason, the fluid level went above the "MAX" fill line and the fluid looks "bubbly". What can cause this to happen??? Thanks in advanced for any suggestions or comments.

George

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-02, 08:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
How's the condition of the cap/and or cap seal for starters?

Old 09-16-02, 09:03 AM
tankertony
Visiting Guest
Well from what you said, I'd say first off if you are going to replace the front seal you should replace all the seals.Better than that you should just buy a re-build power steering pump.
I shouldn't cost that much more,And it sucks to have to go back and do it twice..
As for this over flow,if the pump is going out maybe it is cloged in one line.Or it could be the fluid heats up and exspands.
Thats why you should check it when its warn.(i.e. after driving to work.)

Old 09-16-02, 09:17 AM
chivasgeo
Visiting Guest
Joe F:

The cap is in good condition!! The fluid in the reservoir has always be between the Min and Max lines.

Old 09-16-02, 09:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It could be as the other poster stated and I suggest a rebuilt pump rather than trying to fix the old one yourself. It's frustrating and not worth it in most cases. A rebuilt pump is a better option.

Make sure to use Honda approved power steering fluid!! Most Hondas DO NOT use regular PS fluid.

Old 09-16-02, 03:40 PM
chivasgeo
Visiting Guest
Thanks for both your replies Joe F and Tanker tony, I think I will replace the pump...but what can cause the power steering reservoir to overflow all a sudden??