91 Colt Front Turn Signal Problem

Old 09-16-02, 05:52 PM
91 Colt Front Turn Signal Problem

First my right front signal went out. Then the left. Finally, I went to the store to get a new bulb. I got an 1156 at Wal Mart.

When I went to install the bulb, I found that the front signal bulbs are the very small bulbs that push into clips (not the dual filament 1156--or is it 1164..something like that). I went to the auto store and tried a new bulb. Still no turn signal, but the parking lights worked!

So I tried the old bulb...the same (no turn signal or trouble lights, but the parking lights work). Yipes! Now I'm stumped! The rear blinkers work, but not the front. The front bulbs appear to be ok. It looks like something other than the bulb is the problem, but I have no idea what it could be. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
IK

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-02, 06:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Was the vehicle in an accident in the past? If so, check for damaged or pinched wires up front.

Old 09-18-02, 08:31 AM
As far as I know, no accidents and I've had the car since 95. The thing that is confusing to me is that it looks like the turn signal/parking light is a monofilament bulb. So I don't understand how it works. I thought that you would have two filaments--one for the parking lamps and one for the turn signal. But if this is not so, then something must just flash the lights when the turn signal is activated.

If so, and both sides are not working as turn signals but are as parking lights, what would i look for and where to find what is not working right?

thanks,
ik

Old 09-18-02, 09:19 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What bulb # does the owner's manual recommend?

Old 09-29-02, 07:31 AM
The bulb that is recommended at Walmart and at Autozone is and 1157. and I bought a pack! However, there is not an 1157 in the socket but one of those instrument panel/marker light types that clip in.

Is it possible that the circuit is messed up somehow and that gives me the behavior that I am getting (fast clicking and the turn signal doesn't flash in front but the light goes on as a parking light)?

I thought this would be easy--just replace the bulb. Now I've got a stumper.

Old 09-29-02, 07:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Fast clicking usually means a bulb problem, but if you've changed that, then there is likely a wiring issue.

You stated in another post that the bumper cover was ripped off in an accident. Check your wiring closely.

Old 09-29-02, 07:41 AM
I would guess that you have your turn signal wires and parking light wires crossed somewhere in the circuit. When you turn on your turn signal and the parking lights come on, are they brighter than if you turn on the parking lights normally?? If so, then you are backfeeding your turn signals somehow and they will stay lighted but will be brighter than your normal parking lights.

Old 09-29-02, 03:57 PM
The symptoms are not so complicated.

When I turn on the right or left blinker, there is not light blinking on the right or left front. The clicking is fast like a bulb is burned out.

When I turn on my parking lights, both the right and left front indicators are on, as they should be. The parking lights and the turn signals are in the same place (same bulb)

When I turn on the emergency flashers, the front flashers (also the lights which flash when the turn signals are engaged and working properly) do not flash, but the back ones do, just as the back signal lights flash when engaged.

Both front signals are out, but it took about 2 weeks to a month from the time the first signal went out to the time the 2nd signal went out. But when I put a new bulb in the left socket, the signal still didn't work. so i gave up and posted my question here.

Old 09-29-02, 04:14 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have you checked for a bad turn signal flasher?

You could also have a bad turn signal switch (which generally encompasses the hazards too) causing a gazorch.

Old 09-29-02, 05:20 PM
What is a gazorch?

Old 09-29-02, 07:55 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
"Joe Speak" for trouble, headaches, problems, etc

Old 10-02-02, 08:15 AM
A question about the flasher. If the rear lights flash when the turn signal or the trouble lights are switched on, does that mean that the flasher is ok; or can there be a front flasher and a rear flasher?

thanks,
IK

Old 10-02-02, 09:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The flasher may have one terminal bad in it.

Typically, you can switch the hazard and the turn signals ones to test it, but in your case, both sets of lights do not work.

Again, you mentioned the bumper cover was ripped off in the past due to an accident. Check the wiring closely!!!

Old 10-03-02, 05:59 AM
Solved the problem. This is one of those idiot mistakes! I never looked closely at the car, so I didn't realize that the turn signals were recessed into the bumper. I kept trying to change the parking lights (which work of course).

Change the bulb and it worked. Beginner's luck.

Old 10-03-02, 10:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Talking

Lol. That would explain why there was a difference in the bulbs. Lol!

Well at least it was something simple