Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Overfill Transmission?

Visiting Guest

09-17-02, 06:57 AM   #1  
dougt
Overfill Transmission?

What are the possible complications (other than just don't do it) of overfilling the transmission, and what can be done to remove some of the tranny fluid?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-17-02, 09:32 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Overfilling leads to foaming, which will cause the fluid to not lubricate what it's supposed to and also will cause fluid loss which will ruin the tranny in short order.

The fix is to drain the fluid completely, change the filter and refill it to the proper amount as specified in the owner's book or service literature for that vehicle.

09-17-02, 11:35 AM   #3  
Agree with Joe, Make sure you completely drain the fluid and replace it.

The anti-foaming property in the oil is ng, thats why it needs to be replaced

Larry

Visiting Guest

09-22-02, 04:07 PM   #4  
misnomerny
Transmission pan plug -overfilling fluid

I wanted to run something by you - I have always heard that overfilling the transmission fluid is real bad. Someone told me that they installed a plug on their transmission pan that allows them to release the fluid without having to drop the pan and do the filter and pan gasket. I am going to be changing out my transmission filter sometime in the near future as part of my regular maintenance routine - What do you think of the idea of adding that plug?

Visiting Guest

09-23-02, 05:55 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Not a bad idea but invites more chances for leaks.

Besides dropping the pan forces you to change the filter which is a good thing .

09-23-02, 08:40 AM   #6  
Best method is a flush machine.

Typical 8 qt trans results in changing 3 qts by dropping the pan. 2.5 qts if you just have a drain plug. Those methods still leave 5 qts of old fluid to mix with the 3 qts of new.

Flush machine will exchange all 8 qts. You can even flush twice to remove more dirt

Larry

Visiting Guest

09-23-02, 08:51 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Or, simply pull off the lines going to the radiator and put hoses on them and put them into a pan.

Start up the car and let the fluid pump into a container. The SECOND it runs dry cut off the engine.

Drain the pan, change the fluid and filter and refill to recommended capacity. Done .

Search this Thread