87 baretta dies & RPMS BOUNCE ONLY WHEN WARM

Old 08-15-02, 01:14 AM
sirslinkster
Visiting Guest
87 baretta dies & RPMS BOUNCE ONLY WHEN WARM

GIRLFRIENDS 87 BARETTA 2.8 HAS A BAD STUTER UNDER ACCELERATION. DIES WHEN YOU STOP OR LET IT IDLE DOWN ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO IT STARTED RUNING REAL ROUGH SO I STARTED TO CHECK IT OUT SOMEONE SAID CATALETIC CONVERTER BUT ITS FREE FLOW THANKS TO A PREVIOUS OWNER . CHANGED PLUGS IT RUNS GREAT WHEN ITS COLD NOW. I DONT KNOW IF IT COULD BE RELATED BUT WEVE HAD PROBLEMS WHITH THE COOLING SYSTEM SUCKING IN AIR IT DOESNT LEAK JUST SUCKS AIR AND FILLS THE OVERFLOW ANY HELP GREATLY APRECIATED

Old 08-15-02, 05:31 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Kill the caps please...no need to shout.

Does it stall on deceleration from highway speed (like a manual transmission car when you forget to push in the clutch?). If so, torque converter clutch problems.

Old 08-15-02, 08:47 PM
sirslinkster
Visiting Guest
i had some time to give it a listen and itll run fine until itgets hot by hot imean 3/4 of the gauge instead of the normal 1/2 .i hear a hissing down on the side around the botom of the head . this car is filling the overflow tank in an hour or so replacing it with air . all my head gasket experience hase involved oil and water mixed or cylinders full of water.coulda head gasket on on of these do that ? getting a cooling system presure testing pump tomarow

Old 08-18-02, 04:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
all my head gasket experience hase involved oil and water mixed or cylinders full of wate

Could this depend on where the gasket is leaking on some engines and how bad the leak is? Maybe the leak, if there is a leak, is only opening up when hot? Have known of cracked heads doing this.

My son has had also had the converter problem on a couple of cars he has worked on. Joe? Would shifting to nuetral/out of gear to see if it still dies when stopping tell whether the converter may be causing this?

Old 08-18-02, 09:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Need more information from the original poster to go on (resulting from his tests).

Old 09-18-02, 06:56 PM
sirslinkster
Visiting Guest
sorry its beena while I turned the car over to her dad its his vation time cooling system is ok now thats not the problem fuil pump presure was correct when cold no vacume leaks coills seem all right new o2 sencer and he cleaned everytthing he could under the hood it doent like to idle period. in the proces i t got a new windshield thanks to a semi

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: