Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

oil pressure switch for chevy fuel injection

Visiting Guest

09-18-02, 07:14 AM   #1  
jd123
oil pressure switch for chevy fuel injection

I have seen troubleshooting articles for a no start or start and stall, that said to check the oil pressure switch. While the articles were talking about chevy fuel injection, I believe pre-obd11, the articles were not model specific. I,ve looked at alot of wiring diagrams and with electric pumps the o/pswitch is wired in parallel and can,t kill anything. Let me say, I don,t have a vehicle problem, I just wondered about that o/p switch. Do you folks have a model--year-- chevy--where the o/p switch will kill or prevent the vehicle from starting. I can,t find any. thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-18-02, 09:20 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Many GM cars with fuel injection have this. Mostly it's a three terminal switch for the gauge or light.

Varied years, varied models. It only activates the fuel pump when there is sufficient oil pressure.

Visiting Guest

09-18-02, 11:55 AM   #3  
jd123
o/p switch

Hey Joe, I,ve had trouble posting. It don,t happen Joe. That o/p switch in the fuel pump circuit won,t kill the engine. Again chevy efi, if there is , I need model--year-- engine size---obd1, anybody. thanks

Visiting Guest

09-18-02, 09:30 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Correct, I didn't say it would kill the engine.

However, it WILL prevent it from starting if the switch is bad to my recollection . It will not close the circuit to the fuel pump unless the pressure is beyond the "make or break" value set into the switch .

Visiting Guest

09-18-02, 10:12 PM   #5  
knuckles
Not exactly...

The switch will complete the circuit & power the fuel pump in the event of a fuel pump relay failure. The switch will close once the engine builds enough oil pressure to close the contacts.

Visiting Guest

09-19-02, 11:22 AM   #6  
jd123
o/p switch

chevy--vega---77---is not EFI, but does have an electric fuel pump and is controled by an o/p switch. A couple of guys from batauto told me, a while back, but I couldn,t remember the model. Found it in a manual. I don,t believe any chevy EFI does that. thanks

Search this Thread