Fluids???

Old 09-18-02, 08:24 AM
Fluids???

Hi Joe, et al.

My '95 Mitsubishi Galant, 2.4 liter V4 automatic has a problem when going over 40mph. The steering wheel vibrates violently when I try to brake. I guess that means that the power steering has failed. Could it be something to do with the fluids? Maybe, because it happens when I am brake from speeds of 40+ mph that it is the power brakes? As you can tell, I don't have a clue. Any idea on where to start?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-02, 09:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like warped brake rotors. If it pulsates/vibrates when you brake, have the rotors checked for warpage and resurface/replace as needed.

Old 09-18-02, 10:08 AM
yup, I was afraid of that. Wouldn't that mean that I should replace the brake pads as well? Is replaceing the rotors going to be pricey? Over $100? Any clue? Doesn't Midas do free brake inspections?

Old 09-18-02, 10:18 AM
Lots of places will do free inspections, some charge a minimal fee.

Just check around and see what you have offered in your area.

Kay

Old 09-18-02, 01:59 PM
Driving in the city is rough on a front end, have you hit a huge pothole or run over a curb? If you have you may have bent a rim or seperated a tire. Any tire/brake shop should be able to tell you what's wrong, If you want to check yourself run your hands over the tires, inside, outside and ower the tread and if there is a bump you have a seperated tire.

Old 09-18-02, 09:21 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree with everyone here.

Old 09-19-02, 07:01 AM
a little confused here now

I have hit a ton of potholes in my tenor as a driver here in New York City, I always said that the city will owe me a new axle before long but do you mean that if my tire has like an air bump in it then it is separated? The thing with my front end being jacked up is that I don't feel anything unless the car is braking from moderate to high speeds. I think I'll hit up Midas over the weekend and see what they say.