Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

transmission love

Visiting Guest

09-18-02, 08:09 PM   #1  
james3002
transmission love

hello,

I have a 87 Ford Bronco II with a Mitsubishi(FM145) transmission. Last winter I towed a few cars out of the ditch and I lost first gear. Now I only have 2nd and rev.. I pulled the shifter to inspect the shift rails and the control shift assembly, they look and work fine. Drained the fluid very brown and smells burnt. I opened the case pan to inspect gears and the shifting forks nothing damaged...I need to know if low fluid will cause the trany to pop out of first and perform poorly..I know it will but I never think its that simple. The service manual calls for 9 pts of fluid I know I didn't drain that much form it so am I missing some fluid somewhere or did it leak and got so low that the trany didn't perform? I'm hoping it as simple as bad fluid or low fluid. Thanks for the time...

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-18-02, 09:08 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Sounds internally damaged and wiped out. Burned fluid means the clutch packs broke up and that usually means slippage/falling out of gear.

Rebuild time

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-19-02, 10:07 PM   #3  
Can you put it into 1st gear with the engine off? If you can do it then, but not while engine is running, then your synchronizers are probably wiped out. Gear oil has a funny burnt smell anyway...so if that's whats in it, it will be hard to tell unless you are familiar with what it normally does smell like. More importantly than the smell...Did you look closely at the fluid, and at the bottom of the container that it was drained into? Were there any flakes of metal?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-20-02, 10:06 AM   #4  
redneck
Are we talkin a manual or auto here? References are to both!

Visiting Guest

09-25-02, 02:33 PM   #5  
james3002
thank you cheese thought it might be my synchronizers but i took off the pan and the main gear cluster is fine.....no flakes no metal chips in the 70w gear lube... I know what gear lube should smell like this is really bad...I can shift into any gear when the engines not running but when I put it in gear when its running it pops out..I thought it might be the throw out bearing? All I know is that the gears look good and I was hoping it was a few gears busted but the fluid was smooth and i drained the container I drain the fluid into just to see if maybe there was some flakes ..nothing...I have four bolts to go before the tranny is out so ill let you know what i find but from what I can see while its still in the truck, it's not the tranny but maybe the clutch or throw out bearing...
redneck--5 speed over drive manual trans
joe-F--Duh something is broke inside! clutch packs? what is a clutch pack--throw out bearing,pressure plate,clutch pad?

thanks talk at you in a day or so....

Visiting Guest

09-25-02, 03:08 PM   #6  
Joe_F
joe-F--Duh something is broke inside! clutch packs? what is a clutch pack--throw out bearing,pressure plate,clutch pad?

----
Not sure of your point here. Again, the lack of information from the initial post is what generates the questions. The onus is on YOU to provide the needed information so we can help. You are our eyes and ears and are at the machine. We are likely thousands of miles away.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-25-02, 08:58 PM   #7  
I'm not familiar with the internals of this transmission, but the problem should be obvious when you see it. When you get it apart, I would replace the synchronizers anyway if they look worn. (to eliminate the need to do it in the future). The throwout bearing shouldn't cause this problem. You will want to replace it and the clutch though...for the same reason.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

LA

09-26-02, 11:12 PM   #8  
Have you double checked your shift linkage?

Search this Thread