Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Taurus a/c clutch

Visiting Guest

09-19-02, 10:41 AM   #1  
s rice
Taurus a/c clutch

I've got a 96 Ford Taurus 3.0 liter with 104,000 miles on it. When I run the A/C it makes a loud squealing sound. When I turn the A/C off, it stops. It seems to be either the clutch or the compressor, not sure. There seems to be a grinding/burning/smoking at the clutch plate, and it isn't engaging. I have had the A/C serviced recently, the mechanic replaced a switch that ran me about $100.00, and the evaporator coil was replaced about six to eight months ago. If it is the clutch I believe I could replace that, but if it's the compressor I know it will be big bucks. I've thought about replacing both anyway, due to the mileage, but funds are kinda' low right now. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

09-19-02, 03:32 PM   #2  
As I recall, that compressor is not the best part Ford ever engineered.

Check oem and parts store prices and configurations; it may not be as expensive as you think and they may come with new clutch. Likely you'll want to go with a rebuilt - brand new will definitely be a little pricey. Personally I would not put a new clutch on a 6 year old compressor with 104k miles on it.

My $.02 worth.

Visiting Guest

09-19-02, 04:49 PM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree with TowGuy...in fact, most parts on Ford are made of gum and not worth a darn .

Not sure if Ford still uses the FX series compressor in the 1996 and up Taurus/Sable models, but that was a collosal bomb.

Search this Thread