Laser Headgasket Replacement

Old 09-22-02, 05:35 AM
diannnnn
Visiting Guest
Laser Headgasket Replacement

I am preparing to replace the gaskets in a '93 Laser. I've researched the task on the net and purchased the Haynes book. Pretty sure I'm ready, but I wanted to know if there is anything I should beware of/be on the lookout for. I've got the gasket set, silicon, access to a torque wrench, loosening and retightening sequence for the bolts, etc. Doing a tune up at the same time since the timing has to be checked/reset. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!
P.S. Great Forum!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-02, 06:04 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Pitch the Haynes book and use it as a table prop.

Go with the factory OEM manual, much more detailed and worth the money...also more accurate.

Old 09-23-02, 07:08 AM
diannnnn
Visiting Guest
Head gasket going in tonight....

Thanks for the decorating tip! Unfortunately I am not in a position to spend the $ for the OEM or have the time to wait for it to arrive. Will be diving in immediately as a nice older gentleman put my interim car in the wrecker yard last night. So, if two cars are entering an intersection heading north and you are pointed south making a left hand turn east....WHY would you pull out in front of aforementioned northbound vehicles?? Kudos to '85 Olds 98's, they might not be drivable afterwards, but they can take a lick. Off to take more motrin now...LOL.

Old 09-23-02, 08:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I still suggest the factory book. The generic manuals will leave you scratching your head and frustrated. At minimum I suggest you buy a 25 dollar annual Alldata.com subscription for your car. It will give better information than the Chilton or Haynes.

Remember, as I have said before.

You wouldn't trust a doctor that used a generic manual to fix your ailments.

You wouldn't take a college course using a 1982 version of the textbook when they were on the 2002 edition. (Unless you wanted to get a D ).

In turn, you should fix your car with the best resource available...the factory manual.

My .02...you can get it in a few days I'm sure.

Search this Thread