Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

melted battery cable connector

09-22-02, 03:44 PM   #1  
melted battery cable connector

What would cause a cable end (pos) to melt at the battery?

The battery is useless, won't hold a charge. The pos battery cable connector was melted. When I asked what would cause this <cable end melting) I was told that it was the starter.

It is an 85 Firebird, with a 350, 4bbl holley carb. Is the starter too strong for the battery cables? I noticed that there are different gauge cables available, and varying lengths. The same salesperson told me that there is no such thing as a battery being too large. If this is true, then is the cable size that makes the difference.

I'm sure that the cables are original (wouldn't swear to it) but the starter probably isn't.

Thanks,

Kay

Sponsored Links

09-22-02, 06:49 PM   #2  
usually caused by a poor connection or corrosion causing excessive resistance wich can get really hot at where the bad connection is. i have seen starters short out completley and cause the problem also but if it cranks over its not likely a starter problem, any 12 volt battery that will correctly fit in the vehicle and clamp down could be used but the more cranking amps it is rated for the better.
the stock battery cable guage is of efficient size to carry the load to the starter and if original may be in need of replacing.

09-22-02, 07:23 PM   #3  
do you think it would be okay to just replace the battery cable end? The cable looks fine.

Kay

09-22-02, 07:41 PM   #4  
yes a new end and havng the battery tested and replaced if needed.

09-22-02, 11:05 PM   #5  
the battery is a definite must replace. i had that tested this afternoon.

thanks,

kay

Visiting Guest

09-23-02, 05:51 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Pitch the battery and both cables for high quality new ones. Sounds like a hokey wiring job.

09-23-02, 07:19 AM   #7  
There is a strange history behind this car so we're never sure what we're up against.

This is my brother in law's pride and joy. He used to race it. Jeff left it at a 'friends' house who always helped him ready for a race when he got married and moved to North Carolina. Jeff was going to come get the car as soon as he could arrange it. In the meantime, this 'friend' managed to share parts with his own Firebird and other's cars/trucks. He also used it to store SaCrete and left the windows down, and the hood was off. The floorboards are in dire need of work as does the interior.

When Jeff moved back to this area (8 months later), this 'friend' scrounged up parts to put it back together. I pulled it out here on a car hauler since at this point we couldn't keep it running, and when we could keep it running we couldn't stop it!

Since this is now the family's second car (wife is stay at home mom) we've been working on making sure it is controllable and toned down somewhat but have no clue as to what we're up against with all the changes made before we got it back. This has been hard to do since we can't seem to keep it running long enough to know what to do with it. Looks like it will be awhile before she can drive it at all. Fortunately I live 4 houses up from her so if she or the baby needs anything during the day I can help it with it.

Kay

Visiting Guest

09-23-02, 08:56 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Eeek, sounds like a put together. Hardly "reliable" as a family vehicle.

The first thing I would do is dump that useless Holley. No need for that on such a vehicle.

As you said, since the life of a young child and its mother depend on the vehicle, I wouldn't be 10 feet from such a thing. The bus is safer !

My mom won't even drive my 84 Oldsmobile Delta 88 (the "stagecoach as she calls it). In turn, my grandfather gave me his 1989 Cavalier with 25,000 original miles which I have maintained for him since 1989. Nice little economy car and the price was right .

09-23-02, 10:06 AM   #9  
I don't know why he wanted the holley, that was one of the things he bought for it when he got back in this area. I have 2 carbs, rebuilt in my workshop. He can have the rochester, I want the carter.

One of these days I will figure out the linkage difference since I have a Rochester on the truck now, but would like to put the Carter on it.

Shoot, dreamin here. Still haven't put the drag link, center link or whatever it is called on the truck. That's a definite MUST DO first deal.

Kay

Visiting Guest

09-23-02, 10:29 AM   #10  
Joe_F
The Rochester is far superior to anything for a street vehicle. A Carter or Holley is a step back. Leave the Rochester alone.

Have it gone through by someone competent and it will be fine .

09-23-02, 10:41 AM   #11  
Should have known...I was told, not sure by whom, that I messed up when I rebuilt the rochester. I haven't had any problems with it since I rebuilt it. I'll leave the Carter for Jeff then LOL.

Kay

Search this Thread